Hello fellow Leatherworkers,

I recently acquired a Landis 16 Stitcher that needed sum parts & got those  & now needing some help getting the machine to work & dialed in! 

Would love to speak or communicate with someone who currently has a Landis 16 that has it dialed in correctly & has good insights on how to maximize this BEAST!

Thanks, 

WD

Hi

Where did you obtain the parts you speak of.  And what parts have you replaced.  Recently bought a 1952 16 and am in the process of refurbishment.  

Silverd

20190102_210628.jpg

Edited by Silverd
Add response

Did you replace any cams?

Hi SilverD,

The head was in great shape & purchase the wax pot & guides that came with it and sum covers & bobbins from Johns Custom Leather shop they can get parts.  But  cant get the machine dialed in very well to stitch.  I have a complete setup now but not sure the needle & bobbin/carrier are synced up.

Up-Date:

The front facing channel of the cam in my Landis 16 was badly worn.  Working with Eli Schlabach of Landis International I devised a refurbishment method that I thought might be of interest to some of the members.   This particular cam is really the only cam in the 16, according the Eli, that has a high degree of wear.  The cam roller that rides in the channel moves the presser foot and has to push against the presser foot spring which is why it wears at a faster rate than the other two cams in this machine.   Eli had a dozen worn-out cams that he wanted to have refurbished and I had one out of the machine I recently purchased.  

The rework process started out by taking a scan of the cam and creating a Solid Works CAD file.  Using this file the cam channel path was defined and from there a CNC machine G-code program was generated.   Each cam was mounted into a simple clocking fixture in the CNC mill.  Running the G-Code program the CNC cutter followed the established cutter path exactly centered in the cam channel without touching the inner walls until a feature called Cutter Compensation was initiated.  This feature allows the CNC control to move the cutter off center incrementally until it started removing material from the channel walls.  The process continued until both sides of the channel were completely cleaned up.   This process resulted in a cam channel that is wider than the original so the old cam roller can no longer be used.   Each cam was them measured to determine the new diameter of the roller.  Rollers were made -0.001" smaller than the cam channel.  Each cam now has a custom roller which when used together are completely backwards compatible with the OEM cam and roller.  

I'm planning to complete the refurbishment work to my machine after I reassemble it with the rebuilt cam and roller for testing.   I'll post my progress going forward if there is interest.   Folks that own a Landis 16 and are interested in replacing the lift cam can contact Eli Schlabach for details and counsel on how to do this work.   Let me know if you need his contact information.

Silverd

20190414_171019[1].jpg