JazzBass

Trouble holding a crease...

I'm sure that others have run into this one on occasion.

I've been having some difficulty getting my English Bridle belts to hold a good edge crease. All the "stuffing" of wax/tallow seems to not want to hold the crease. The definition and depth diminish with handling, and over time.

I know that a heated creaser might be the answer - if I use the "old" method of an alcohol lamp (or just a lighter, haha), is there any general rule about temperature, or is it just trial and error with scrap? ...maybe, as hot as possible without smoking/burning (?) Any tips appreciated.

Edited by JazzBass

Yes heat the creaser. It needs to be fairly hot , I use the old wet finger method to test the heat if it doesn't feel hot it is too cool and if it sizzles it may be hot enough, alternatively use a scrap piece of leather if it burns through the top layer it is too hot etc. Mostly it comes with experience and again practice.

I would use a clean flame as anything that can produce soot will stain the leather. I have used a small blowtorch before now but currently use a camping gas stove top as it is easy and controllable (the blowtorch tended to get too hot very quickly)

I use a blowtorch that takes gas cartridges. However I have used an electric heatgun (like you might use for stripping paint) to great effect. Alcohol, I found, burns a little slow for my tastes but it works and burns cleanly.

Thanks guys, I'll do some more experimenting.

Ha...now I know what to do with all those unused strap ends. ;)

Hi, i also use a blow torch - i keep moving the creaser up and down through the flame,  when i think it is hot  enough ( it doesn't take not long at all) i wait about ten seconds than i crease.Whatever method you use to heat your creaser,  you will get to know how long it will take to get it hot enough -  also i hot crease before i stitch mark my work and once i have finished stitching, i will hot crease again and refinish the edges as well.

Hope this helps

JCUK

2 hours ago, jcuk said:

Hope this helps

It does, thanks. 

In fact, I had been creasing multiple times as well, to try to "set" it sufficiently. I'll definitely need heat on bridle so I'm not shoveling sand against the tide. :)