Joshstrange

Black leather dye

I'm sure this has been covered but nothing is working for me it concerns leaching dye black in particular.  I use fiebings alcohol based dye on veg tanned leather from tandy mostly.  I have tried the resolene many times but I can still rub dye out until it leaves natural colored leather spots, it just wont stop and I am getting frustrated.  Am I using to much dye does the leather I'm using just suck that bad.  What advise do you fine folks have for me.  Thank you.

I’ve had rub off but never been able to see natural color. Sounds like the dye isn’t soaking in. Try using deglazer on a small piece and see if the dye soaks into the leather then. Some Tandy leather has a “coating” on the top to make it look better. 

Edited by Mattsbagger

G'Day,

I had the same problem with Raven Oil years ago when I first started leatherwork. No matter how many coats of sealer I put on  the dye still came though. 

But, I know this won't be of any help to you , being in another part of the world, but this is what I use:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DYE1Lw/Birdsall-Leather-dye-1Ltr/pd.php

and this is the sealer:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DTC/Top-Coat-Leather-Finish/pd.php

I don't put too much sealer on as it can look a bit ' streaky' , and will buff up a little. I have also used Supa Shene from Tandy  for a deeper shine. Works fine. 

The dye is mostly water based but with some alcohol  in it  for drying purposes. I've had no problems since I discovered it,   and that was  nearly 15 years ago.  I have also put it through a spray gun  , and an air brush. 

Hope this helps, even just a little bit  :)

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

G'Day,

I had the same problem with Raven Oil years ago when I first started leatherwork. No matter how many coats of sealer I put on  the dye still came though. 

But, I know this won't be of any help to you , being in another part of the world, but this is what I use:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DYE1Lw/Birdsall-Leather-dye-1Ltr/pd.php

and this is the sealer:

https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/DTC/Top-Coat-Leather-Finish/pd.php

I don't put too much sealer on as it can look a bit ' streaky' , and will buff up a little. I have also used Supa Shene from Tandy  for a deeper shine. Works fine. 

The dye is mostly water based but with some alcohol  in it  for drying purposes. I've had no problems since I discovered it,   and that was  nearly 15 years ago.  I have also put it through a spray gun  , and an air brush. 

Hope this helps, even just a little bit  :)

Handstitched thank you for your help but you are right the freight is 40 bucks to the US so not really a great option.

1 hour ago, Mattsbagger said:

I’ve had rub off but never been able to see natural color. Sounds like the dye isn’t soaking in. Try using deglazer on a small piece and see if the dye soaks into the leather then. Some Tandy leather has a “coating” on the top to make it look better. 

Mattsbagger I may try that i just switched to using only Herman oak I havent been impressed with tandy leather I just have a little left of the tandy stuff so ill either stop using black dye or get some of that deglazer.  Thanks for the advise. 

I don’t use Tandy leather either. I use Pro Dye from Fiebings and Wickett and Craig. Even when I did use Tandy I never had what you’ve been having.

For the last few years, . . . I have used Tandy leather pretty much for everything, . . . they are physically close, and I can see and feel what I am getting.

AND, . . . I use feibings oil dye exclusively as well.

All my projects get "created" first and dyed later, . . . but first they all get a light coating of neatsfoot oil and at least 24 hours hanging in the shop so the oil can distribute itself evenly thru the product.  Oil is only put on with a cheap bristle hair brush, . . . one coat, . . . it is put on evenly all over, . . . not streaks.

THEN, . . . the dye is poured into a pan, . . . having been 1 to 1 reduced with feibings dye reducer, . . . and the product is dipped into the pan, . . . dip dying is what I call it, . . . then it is held flat in my hand until I can see most of the pools on the surface of the product have all disappeared.  If it takes over 15 seconds or so, . . . I take a paper towel and wipe off the excess.

Belts are laid on their edge (bottom edge) on a piece of cardboard to dry, . . .  holsters, cell phone cases, knife sheaths are hung up to dry, . . . at least 24 hours and 48 if I'm not on a deadline with the product.

Take a terrycloth towel then, . . . and briskly rub whatever the product is, . . . looking for loose pigment to come off, . . . and it seems for some unknown reason that black will come off, and off, and off for several minutes.  I keep at it until no more dye pigment comes off.  (you should see some of the towels I have, . . . ugly !!)

The final process is the resolene, . . . cut 1 to 1 with clean water, . . . brushed on with a cheap 1 inch bristle brush bought from Harbor Freight.

I have not had any dye rub off in years using this process.

May God bless,

Dwight

I've used veg-tan leather from a variety of sources...Tandy, W&C, HO, misc import hides that were on sale, etc, etc. Like Dwight, I exclusively use Fiebings Pro Oil dye (reduced)...applied with either daubers, lambs wool or dipped depending upon the size/scope/sequence of the project. When using Black, I try to work in a "clean area"...for some reason, that color tends to migrate or create little splashes all over my other work area/pieces if I'm not very careful when working with it. After dyeing, the usual rub-down (similar to Dwight's method via dedicated rags just for this purpose)...then final finish (Resolene 50/50).  No rub-off experienced here as you are describing :unsure:

Thanks for the replies.  I found a suggestion to mix the resolene with water 50/50 and letting it dry a couple hours and applying more for 2 0r 3 coats so i tried that and it made a world of difference so glad i can go back to using black dye.  Thanks for all your help.