dhaverstick

Finished this "Plain Jane" bag for a friend

I finished this shooting bag last night for a friend of mine. He was adamant about me making the bag as plain as possible but I snuck in a little carp hide bling on the front and back flaps to cover up some stitching. He was quite pleased with the end product. Now he has to wait 9 long months to get the black powder fowler he ordered to go with the bag.

The body and straps of the bag are made from bison hide and the saddle colored trim is elk hide. It has a small gusset pocket on the front, a small patch pocket on the inside of the main compartment, and a large gusset pocket on the back. I carved the D rings and hooks from moose antler and the buttons from deer antler. I then sewed it all up by hand using artificial sinew.

Darren

T1GqwCe.jpg
IILvQGR.jpg
KtIQTVK.jpg
xw7XZrA.jpg
XlJY8AE.jpg
M8qmktN.jpg
3oe9wHz.jpg
4luoKjA.jpg

Very nice and certainly not my idea of plain!

WOWOWOW!! That is so nice, definitely not my idea of plain either.

Excellent job, AND the natural handmade elements add to a beautiful job.

That is a work of art. We should all strive for such plainness.

Really nice looking bag.  Have you used D rings made of horn before or have you tested their strength?  Just wondering if they will hold up in the long term.

Gary

Thanks, all!

Gary, yes I have used horn before and if you use green horn it is tough as shoe leather. I seal all the pieces with polyurethane to keep out moisture and they are impervious to pretty much anything else.

Darren

8 hours ago, dhaverstick said:

Thanks, all!

Gary, yes I have used horn before and if you use green horn it is tough as shoe leather. I seal all the pieces with polyurethane to keep out moisture and they are impervious to pretty much anything else.

Darren

Good to know!  I have powder horns made from cow horns that I have used for 50 years and they look as strong as ever, but they really don’t have any stress points on them.  

I’m sure your friend will enjoy this bag for many years!

Gary