katit

Time capsule 206RB

I need to remove CraigsList search for "walking foot" from my phone. I just got down to one machine and this one came up without model number. But pictures revealed it looks like 206RB and price was $250. I couldn't resist and sure it was 206RB. Now I think that might be my main machine. Its basically new stored in perfect conditions. All original paint, no rust no scratches, no bolts touched. Needle hits shuttle but I'm sure that is a simple adjustment. Seller's grandma used it for quilts and such. No heavy vinyl or leather from what I understand..

They said the only thing it wouldn't sew is "thick leather". Table is in perfect condition as well, but of course got clutch motor (easy fix)

IMG_2966.jpg

IMG_2967.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

IMG_2969.jpg

That looks beautiful. What year do you think it is? I love seeing old equipment put back to use. 

1 hour ago, luxuryluke said:

That looks beautiful. What year do you think it is? I love seeing old equipment put back to use. 

I just know they make 206RB-5 now. So, this one got to be pretty old. Maybe someone chimes in with more details on when they started to make those? Looks like new, but I would think at least 30+ years old?

Mine is an rb-1 and was made about 1980-1.

Mine is a darker grey than that.

That's the luck!

I seen that this morning, Its a real winner, especially if one is in town there. You can be assured its in great shape, within the photos.

Floyd

On Consew, I believe the first 2 digits of the serial number is the year built. My 206RB is 1991. My 206RB-1 is 1993. That machine was a great find. Replace the grease in the upper and lower gear covers before you use it. That old waxy grease can harden like glue.

9 minutes ago, JJN said:

On Consew, I believe the first 2 digits of the serial number is the year built. My 206RB is 1991. My 206RB-1 is 1993. That machine was a great find. Replace the grease in the upper and lower gear covers before you use it. That old waxy grease can harden like glue.

Yep. 91. But manual I found dates back to 78. So it's not even 30 year old yet :) 

Got needles, bobbins and motor on order. I think for the price machine deserves all of it. Yes, I'm going to replace grease and oil everything, will go over whole machine.. Sounds like machine wasn't used for business, just for hobby.

23 minutes ago, brmax said:

That's the luck!

I seen that this morning, Its a real winner, especially if one is in town there. You can be assured its in great shape, within the photos.

Yes, I first asked what model but then I just told the guy to tell me where to go to pick it up, worst case my guess would be wrong and I wouldn't take it... Had to work on his schedule.. He said there was 8 more people interested..

Edited by katit

Nice Find .. That a keeper,  one of the rare good deals on the craigslist to be found , the sew machine Gems are there but you have to be vigilant on the hunt .

I have looked for few years in my regional area and made several trips to look at machines offered for sale on craiglist . I have bought only  ( 2 ) machines over the years of looking that were 'happily' well worth the time and energy . A lot of over priced junk on craiglist there but good machines can be found.

I got a sew friend that also keeps craiglist eye-out and sends me link of machines that are worth a look . I just was looking at another machine that popped up last night, in my AO that you rarely see ever come up on the craiglist . Is a 1942, 7-31 that looks ( from the Pic's. ) to be all there and working order .

Edited by nylonRigging

I really like my 206rb1. It will sew 3/8" leather with #138 thread

I consider this one of the best general purpose machines for

upholstery and leatherwork. My first a new one in 1976 for $800 and

still running in my old shop.  My sister in law bought a new one the same year and didn't oil

for 25yrs. My wife didn't want me to oil, because one drop would ruin a deerskin garment she

was sewing. I've had  all three over the years Japan, Taiwan,and China.  The Japanese machine

had the best finish both on paint and metal parts but they all work good. My 144 Singer and Nakajima 280L 

will sew thicker thread and thicker material but it is still my go to machine.  With the 206rb  I maxed out

on my MC chaps at the belt with 7 layers @4oz and one at 6 or 7oz.  That's when I bought a 144 singer

we called it T Rex. to do more thickness.The 206 would sew thicker by raising the foot but

made it hard to sew lining. Every used 206 I've bought had issues all could be repaired easily

Remember if it's used there is a reason.

I missed your post on the hook.  The hook is on a keyed shaft with out any timing

changes.  Just release the screws on the hook slightly and realingn with needle bar.

You may want to put in a needle.  Also reset clutch if it  is engaged

I will do some cleaning and lube first, then I’m going to go through all adjustments per book/video. Won’t even try to make a quick fix.

1. Cleaned with compressed air. There was only dust, no crud..

2. Replaced lube in gearboxes with synthetic grease on top and bottom.

3. Oiled everything throughout, soaked it literally. I have pan, so it's no big deal. All wicks were dry.

Took needle plate off, started to see what is hitting. Hook was hitting needle. Ok, took out needle and it was wrong needle! Seller said needle were broken, so maybe it was an attempt to "fix" broken needle. I can tell because tiny bolt which holds thread guard on needle bar was missing..

Anyway, after inserting new titanium needle all started to look normal, at least to my eye. I did not go through any adjustments, it just looked like hook arriving to needle just right. So I threaded it and it just works!!!

Question. Bobbins I just received for 206RB (with holes) look pretty much identical as my PFAFF 1245 bobbins. Are they the same by chance? 

And Now I really have hard time deciding if PFAFF is better. To me they both very smooth but this Consew is like brand new.. And I kind of like side load bobbin, it is first time I work with it and it was really easy to load bobbin. Should I still hold onto 2 threads when starting? I've seen some videos when guys use 206rb without paying any attention where thread is...

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_3001.jpg

Dang, what an incredible find.

M class bobbins, I think they are pretty common among machines. 

43 minutes ago, Colt W Knight said:

M class bobbins, I think they are pretty common among machines. 

Browsing various online stores, eBay, etc. I didn't find any cross-references. I think they put 3/8 thickness for 206RB and 11mm for PFAFF (which is slightly bigger). Just by holding them they look almost identical. Also, 206RB bobbins always have holes (or it's very common). PFAFF bobbins almost always solid.