stor

3d printed a smaller pulley

I got a Juki lu-563 and as soon as i got it i took the old clutch motor out and now i use it as a boat anchor ;)
I invested in a Jack JK-563A-1 servo motor and its nice ! However ! its abit to fast for me even at its slower speed and when i did some digging around i found that i wasn't the only one with that problem and tried to find a good solution for it without spending 2-300 euros on top of that and i figured a smaller pulley would do the trick but couldn't find any 40 mm pully for it.
After some brainstorming i figured I just make a 3d model of what i needed and hired a 3d printer owner to print it for me :) and it arrived today, i needed to drill out the hole and do some file work to get it to fit and now it installed.
I printed it in PLA as a test and gonna run in until it falls apart but im 
surprised that it works so well !
im totally happy with the speed now, i can do a recording if anyone wanna see the speed.

Here is a few photos

IMG_20190313_155241.thumb.jpg.1d366af1aec70e2596ce9f5e4e494b55.jpgIMG_20190313_155248.thumb.jpg.dfe0180edd77560e44caea7b8ed1078a.jpg

Kind regards
Peter - Antfarm steel & leather

That is some 'solid' MacGyver'ing right there . I giving you a Big thumbs-up on that print pulley . I seen it done ( printed pulley ) on ( the Larger Pulley ) with a under the table  gear reduction and the guy swears it works perfect . What material you printing with ?  The material will probable work for long time if you keep the friction/heat down with turning a low RPM .

I see in your forum profile you from Sweden . So I don't know if you get the old 80's 'MacGyver' episode reruns there for the DIY reference  ....LOL

1 hour ago, stor said:

i can do a recording if anyone wanna see the speed.

Hi Stor, yes could you post a video of the speed:thumbsup:

Thanks ! 
i was around for the original run of MacGyver !
Printed it in PLA as test, see how it holds up, where not sure it would work at all and my backup plan was to do a speed reducer with a large and small pulley.

/P

2 minutes ago, jimi said:

i sort it out tomorrow.

Nylon may be a better long term filament as stronger and often used in gears etc, now he has the STL file made for the printer just a few hours printing to use another filament

9 hours ago, dikman said:

If you search on ebay for "45mm pulley" they're around $3-4.

$3-4 shipped from China. Just ordered one yesterday. But I guess it's part of fun to DIY :) I do lot's of things that don't make any financial sense..

Edited by katit

15 hours ago, dikman said:

If you search on ebay for "45mm pulley" they're around $3-4.

6 hours ago, katit said:

$3-4 shipped from China. Just ordered one yesterday. But I guess it's part of fun to DIY :) I do lot's of things that don't make any financial sense..

I did find alot of 40-45 mm pulley but none that fit my 13 mm axel that my Jack have and i guess i could have spent more time to trying to find the right one but in the spirit of DIY whats the fun in that ? :) i learned 2 new skills and hopefully inspiring someone in the process.
I keep you posted on the progress.

On 3/13/2019 at 10:28 PM, jimi said:

Slowest i could run on the slowest speed (500)
The knocking sound is the hook hitting the needle, i just switched my hook (B1830-563-BA0) to get thicker thread at the bottom and i need to adjust the distance from hook to needle. sorting it out tomorrow. 

https://vimeo.com/323906546

Edited by stor

12 hours ago, chrisash said:

Nylon may be a better long term filament as stronger and often used in gears etc, now he has the STL file made for the printer just a few hours printing to use another filament

yes, thats the plan now when i know it works.

18 minutes ago, stor said:

Slowest i could run on the slowest speed (500)

Thanks Stor, that looks good and slow. I have had this on my list for a while now also, maybe get around to doing it one day. the jack is also a little too fast for me. :spoton:

6 minutes ago, jimi said:

Thanks Stor, that looks good and slow. I have had this on my list for a while now also, maybe get around to doing it one day. the jack is also a little too fast for me. :spoton:

No worries !
Maby one of the guys above can point you in the direction of a seller if you dont wanna go thru the pain of 3d printing one, but if you do wanna 3d print one let me know and ill send you the file.

1 minute ago, stor said:

No worries !
Maby one of the guys above can point you in the direction of a seller if you dont wanna go thru the pain of 3d printing one, but if you do wanna 3d print one let me know and ill send you the file.

Ok, thanks Stor.

I have recently been in contact with a supplier regarding this motor (JK-563A-1) and was told it is not possible to remove the pulley! As I read this thread I got confused. Did you find it easy to remove the pulley? Could you share the measurement for the inner diameter of the pulley? Was it straight of angeled?

Edited by Joniboo
Typo

Pulleys from Jack Servos are removable (I have two of em). The point is they do not supply smaller pulleys for this motor, so you have to modify a pulley with15mm straight bore. I guess thats why they say it is not removable. BTW why should it not be removable - some one assembled the motor and installed the pulley... so...  ;)

Edited by Constabulary

20 minutes ago, Constabulary said:

Pulleys from Jack Servos are removable (I have two of em). The point is they do not supply smaller pulleys for this motor, so you have to modify a pulley with15mm straight bore. I guess thats why they say it is not removable. BTW why should it not be removable - some one assembled the motor and installed the pulley... so...  ;)t

So weird right? My mind almost could not comprehend it so I created a scenario where they welded it to the shaft because reasons

So the shaft have a tapered shaft? So the straight bore pulley needs to be modified by a sleeve of sorts?

Edited by Joniboo
Forgot a question

You could always design and fix the new pulley to the old one and just adjust the position of the motor to line up machine and new pulley

You would naturally need to keep it balanced

Edited by chrisash

On 3/12/2020 at 11:22 AM, Constabulary said:

Pulleys from Jack Servos are removable (I have two of em). The point is they do not supply smaller pulleys for this motor, so you have to modify a pulley with15mm straight bore. I guess thats why they say it is not removable. BTW why should it not be removable - some one assembled the motor and installed the pulley... so...  ;)

Is it a tapered bore pulley?  Some new and old motors still used them, and you can get them in a variety of sizes if that's the case.

6 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

Is it a tapered bore pulley?

No Gregg, it is a 13mm bore with a 2x4mm key way.

I printed one out yesterday in two halves to avoid support material and time (and i am a noob at this...Lol..) and it works real slow and nice, BUT the needle positioner will give you a error5. So today after trying to figure it out i can only think that the chip is programmed to a certain time lapse??  it will trigger the error if the disk in the positioner takes longer to trigger the sensor ??:dunno: So it seems that a 50mm pulley Will work, I have just printed one and tried it. I dont know if a 45mm one will work?? So if anyone wants the Stl just say, but it is real easy to do.

Here is the pulley for the jack servo motor. 

50mmpulley.stl

23 hours ago, jimi said:

Here is the pulley for the jack servo motor. 

50mmpulley.stl

Looks great, that is an odd size.  We hosted a an exchange student from Salamanca over two summers, and then went to stay with his family, in Salamanca for two weeks.  We had their old apartment, and they were more than accommodating.  It was a great two weeks they took us everywhere and treated us like family.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

2 hours ago, Gregg From Keystone Sewing said:

We hosted a an exchange student from Salamanca over two summers, and then went to stay with his family, in Salamanca for two weeks.  We had their old apartment, and they were more than accommodating.  It was a great two weeks they took us everywhere and treated us like family.

Yes, Nice place Salamanca, and sounds like you had a good time over here Gregg. :spoton:

Sorry Stor...:offtopic:

Edited by jimi

Hello, I realise this is old topic but I wonder how long "Stor's" 3d printed pulley survived. I would like to 3d print it as well but from PETG or later from stronger nylon if this actually makes any sense :). Probably custom made pulley would be the best solution. I also wonder what is the size limit for the needle positioner if any.

Adam

3 hours ago, 8dsf said:

Hello, I realise this is old topic but I wonder how long "Stor's" 3d printed pulley survived. I would like to 3d print it as well but from PETG or later from stronger nylon if this actually makes any sense :). Probably custom made pulley would be the best solution. I also wonder what is the size limit for the needle positioner if any.

Adam

Hi Adam,

It'd be interesting to find out how long Stor's pulley lasted but I'd be concerned about concentricity and vibration, especially long-term -- however I tend to run my motors at 4500RPM a lot so your mileage may vary. Sewing machine pulleys are normally cast from aluminium, the bore reamed, keyway broached and the V-groove cleaned up on a lathe, which eliminates most of the wobble and gives a wheel that you can be very sure won't distort over time or spread shrapnel around the place. All for £5 retail.

As to size limit, and assuming that you're aiming for as slow a speed (high reduction) as possible, I guess it depends on the motor. I'm currently running a 40mm motor pulley to a 80mm handwheel (standard/common with upholstery weight machines) on a Jack 511 and a 513, both with the standard needle positioner, neither of which has ever missed a stitch. 40mm is probably the smallest commercially available size and has problems at times with slippage (not much arc length in contact with the belt). I don't think I'd want to go any smaller just on the slippage issue alone.

In the past I've gone with higher reduction ratios on other servo motors and found that issues tend to crop up with needle positioners when going above a 1:2-3 ratio, but it really does depends on the motor. It's also my experience that so long as you don't have one of the absolute dog toffee servo motors that starts at something like 500RPM a 2:1 ratio is plenty slow enough when you've got a needle positioner installed -- you can just tap your toe down and get a single stitch quite reliably.

Out of pure idle nosiness, why do you want to 3D-print a SM pulley? Is it curiosity, or is there a problem you're trying to solve?