Kolton45

Best top coat for back quiver

First time posting on here so not sure if I posted in the right spot or not. But I have just finished an archery back quiver made of veg tan. tooled and dyed with eco flo gel antique in the saddle tan color and now it's time for a top coat I tried using resolene but came out very streaky so I removed with rubbing alcohol and am wondering if it could use leather balm with atom wax as a top coat and still prevent dye from bleeding and still be kinda water resistant. 

Screenshot_20190313-235135_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190313-235122_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Kolton45

When you tried the resolene did you cut it 50/50 with water? If not, I’d suggest giving that a go, the finish will be much cleaner. 

6 hours ago, heydox said:

When you tried the resolene did you cut it 50/50 with water? If not, I’d suggest giving that a go, the finish will be much cleaner. 

I did not cut it maybe I will cut it and try again one other problem I was having was bubbles everytime the brush was passing over a tooled impression was I just pressing too hard on the brush? I also have bees wax and neatsfoot oil but I have never used that mixture before and not sure if that will lock in the dye or not 

Edited by Kolton45
Add to post

Resolene does tend to want to bubble up over tooling. Cutting it 50/50 and using soft, long strokes of the brush to apply 2-3 separate thin coats will give you a much better experience with the resolene. Your leather balm with atom wax can be a good finish coat. Of the 3 finishes you’ve mentioned you have, resolene is the only “sealer” in the bunch. 

Thank you for the advise and information I'll let you know how I make out with it