This was my first attempt at a bag/backpack without a pattern.  I roughly modeled it after a GoRuck GR1... but had to pattern, so I made my own.  

This is the third backpack I've made for my kiddos.  The smooth leather is all veg-tan and mostly 8-9 oz, the rest is Bison.

The entire bag is hand-stitched (some running stitch, done saddle stitch depending on application).

5EF96401-CB78-4E60-BD81-9561B32E2BD0.jpeg

BF8690C6-6589-4029-BF0A-0F41C071FF1F.jpeg

45364FEC-50D1-4CEE-86E4-1F708E3572DC.jpeg

10E7EBBC-8102-4C61-8C7C-DE2689F60116.jpeg

FAD811A1-3FD0-47E0-8310-DF2058D55A90.jpeg

40DBAAB1-7530-4838-B41D-36864003CB89.jpeg

What a cool pack! love the red/white/blue velcro threads- what other kid has a 400+ dollar backpack to kick around class in? Very nice indeed- Bravo

Nice!

Very nice craftsmanship, indeed! He'll be passing that one down as an heirloom for sure!

3 hours ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

what other kid has a 400+ dollar backpack to kick around class in? ...

Well, since it was my third... his brother and sister... :lol:

But this one is definitely the nicest one so far.  Thank you for the complement!

Well done! 

Absolutely fantastic!  Great craftsmaship, beautiful leather combo, and built elegantly but clearly made to last a lifetime.  If a backpack could become a best friend, this one would be the one to do it!  Would love to see photos of the inside also!

YinTx

Awesome job.

That's awesome!

Great job.  I especially like the straps with the edge treatment!

On 3/14/2019 at 5:06 AM, joelpete said:

This was my first attempt at a bag/backpack without a pattern.  I roughly modeled it after a GoRuck GR1... but had to pattern, so I made my own.  

This looks really nice - I like the way you've approached the problem. Any chance you would be willing to share your pattern?

On 3/16/2019 at 6:57 AM, WeekendHobby said:

This looks really nice - I like the way you've approached the problem. Any chance you would be willing to share your pattern?

I am also interested in the pattern. One for me and two for my college bound daughters. That bag is great!

very well done and the customer looks very happy as well! and the dog....

On 3/16/2019 at 8:57 AM, WeekendHobby said:

Hmm...  I'll take some pictures of the "pattern" I have, and add some dimensions, but you'll need to do a lot of improvising.  I only made a template for the front, and back/bottom.  The rest I just kinda made up as I went.

I may not be able to get to this until next week... 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, joelpete said:

Hmm...  I'll take some pictures of the "pattern" I have, and add some dimensions, but you'll need to do a lot of improvising.  I only made a template for the front, and back/bottom.  The rest I just kinda made up as I went.

I may not be able to get to this until next week... 

Thanks - I'd appreciate the starting point!

Sorry, I know it's not much, but this is literally the only pattern I made up.  The rest I just kinda created as I went and made adjustments as necessary.  I used (approximately) 8oz veg tab for these two pieces, Buffalo hide for the sides, pocket, and strap cushions.  The strap landings were 5oz veg tan.

For the back piece, after cutting the veg tan I folded the bottom 90° (inside out) stitched the sides, back, and bottom together, then wet and turned right-side out.

8F1A7B16-C349-46D1-944B-58D7247FB609.jpeg

6B12ADEA-E3A6-4B72-A930-DA322E758480.jpeg

Great work...it looks awesome.

On 4/7/2019 at 4:35 PM, joelpete said:

Sorry, I know it's not much, but this is literally the only pattern I made up.  The rest I just kinda created as I went and made adjustments as necessary.  I used (approximately) 8oz veg tab for these two pieces, Buffalo hide for the sides, pocket, and strap cushions.  The strap landings were 5oz veg tan.

For the back piece, after cutting the veg tan I folded the bottom 90° (inside out) stitched the sides, back, and bottom together, then wet and turned right-side out.

I'm very appreciative for your taking the time to do this - I can get the sizes and everything from the cutting mat - great idea!

Thanks!

Tom

@WeekendHobby,

I was digging through some patterns and I found that I had made a pattern for the front pocket of the Buffalo/Bovine backpack as well!  Good luck!

507E59AF-11E4-4221-9AF2-46B1BDD6FDCD.jpeg

On 4/16/2019 at 7:19 AM, GregS said:

That's a lucky boy to go to school with that awesome pack.  Great job.

Thanks!  He loves it.  And he loves to show me how he's "breaking it in." :-)

That is sweet! Think I will attempt to make that. One for me and for each of my daughters for college.

Love the wide top and edges to keep the rain out! Beautiful!

Beautiful, and the velcro patch attachment is a great bonus feature!