Yankee63

My chinese cobbler patcher arrived

So, I bought a  HU-JI, looks like model 43-6.

My painted casting has no sharp edges, the machine was completely pre threaded so I could just tie off

new thread and pull it through. This patcher came with 12 spare bobbins, a new crank rod looking replacement part

and it came with a shiny new take up lever for the top front of the machine. It came with a spool of thread, a pack of needles and even a new bobbin carrier spare part.

Top that off it had 2 layers of leather sewn and needle holding it in place to show that the machine worked prior to shipping.

The stand for it is completely useless, but I attached it to a chunk of wood to hold it securely.

I will build a stand for it with a removable table to make flat surface around the needle area.

Here are my questions.

1) Can I run 207 thread with a 22 needle? or am I at max thread size with 138?

2) Are there alterations I can make to use larger thread?

Other than those questions I do have it up and running fairly smooth for breaking in a hand cranking machine that does go through 3 layers of tough horse hide.

I have a major helper as my wife used to work for Boy Scouts sewing and making patches. Her knowledge of sewing machines has really helped me.

So, if I can get some help on thread sizing by people who use these machines it would be greatly appreciated.

The more experienced people with these machine may know a way or trick to use nice thick thread for my holster sewing.

Thanks

Doug

There are a couple of different sizes they make in these Chinese patchers; but the most commonly sold model appears to be the smaller one (mine is definitely the small one). I'm limited to #68 thread and it uses standard domestic needles. I believe some have used #138 but I reckon you'll be struggling to get any bigger thread through it.

As for holsters, just how big is this machine? There's no way mine could sew holsters.

Its the regular size.

My wife used it to sew through 3 layers of dry horse hide.

Granted I need to work on my foot pressure and sharp points, but it is easily capable of 3 layers of 5-7oz.

Once I get a few minor bugs out of it, I do believe I can easily sew 2 layers for a holster.

It will also allow to spin the leather around and follow the original stitch holes to double up the thread.

Worked nice for a basic set up and run. I will snap a picture of it. Just the regular ol cobbler machine.

I think a table around the needle would suit it better to do more than just patches.

Proof is in the pudding. When I get it set up as I want it, I will show ya all the results.

Doug

here's what I got

cobbler.jpg

I cannot show a picture with the size allocation to show the spare parts

Oh well.

Have fun all

Doug

19 hours ago, Yankee63 said:

I think a table around the needle would suit it better to do more than just patches.

Proof is in the pudding. When I get it set up as I want it, I will show ya all the results

Looks like the standard model- mine had casting flash all over the parting line. Required a bit of grinder-love to make it not snag the thread and fingers... no bueno!

Plus mine was loaded with cosmoline- had to strip it, kerosene wipe down and re-assemble (with proper gear lube for rack and oil the arm and cam pivots) before I could use it.

You can make a table easily with a sink cutout from a Corian countertop (smooth and durable) or Melamine surfaced plywood easily. Why would you want these materials? Hey- glad you asked... they are smooth, easy to clean and provide the least amount of cleanup (Spray down- wipe up)... 

One thing you will need- the crank handle nut needs a washer or locking nut- otherwise its very frustrating to use it and have the crank fall off the shaft in your hand every so often (ask me how I know... :ranting2: )...

One more thing you may wish to consider also is adding a witness mark to the bobbin shuttle IN THE ARM- as it sits with the crank handle at TDC (top-dead-center). This will allow you to "find" the shuttle position if you have to reload mid stitch or have to remove it for jammed threads. 

Silver

Edit to add: Dont forget to file down the presser foot teeth!

Edited by SilverForgeStudio

Does not sound like the machine to own from what you just described ??? . I am sure it a fine tool and adequate machine for shoe cobbling on the streets of communist Vietnam or China . But not sure about Investing your time in the lowest common denominator . old saying of ..."putting lipstick on a pig ".

Looks the same as mine. Like SilverForge I spent a lot of time grinding and cleaning parts but for what they are they're not bad little machines, pretty simple and somewhat bulletproof!

5 minutes ago, nylonRigging said:

time in the lowest common denominator

True- but for those of us who are learning and would like the ability to speed up from hand stitching and get a feel for threads and such it is a good threshold machine (albeit hand powered). It is not a replacement for hand stitching for me- just a way to keep going after hands are sore or I have a time crunch and would like to finish a batch.

Being new and on a budget- it offers a bit of speed and familiarization- and a decent lower budget intro for the ability to sew thicker belts and sheaths (for me anyway)

Your mileage may vary- I am time rich and money poor for the hobbies department. An even trade- a bit of labor to get it functional, and now I know a few things about what I like (and dont like) about  this style of machine.

28 minutes ago, SilverForgeStudio said:

True- but for those of us who are learning and would like the ability to speed up from hand stitching and get a feel for threads and such it is a good threshold machine (albeit hand powered). It is not a replacement for hand stitching for me- just a way to keep going after hands are sore or I have a time crunch and would like to finish a batch.

Being new and on a budget- it offers a bit of speed and familiarization- and a decent lower budget intro for the ability to sew thicker belts and sheaths (for me anyway)

Your mileage may vary- I am time rich and money poor for the hobbies department. An even trade- a bit of labor to get it functional, and now I know a few things about what I like (and dont like) about  this style of machine.

it is a rough machine . But I do see your points . there is something to be said for the truth of.. " less is More " . Less complicated purity .

Edited by nylonRigging

I have spent enough time reading of how the "pig" can sew.

It may take a few adjustments, or improvements but I am handy so I will work through it.

Thanks for the pointers SilverForgeStudio.

Doug

Edited by Yankee63

Hi Yankee, I'm curious how you are getting on with your Hu Ji 43?  I'm looking at maybe picking one up.  Is yours still going strong?  Any problems with it?

thanks!

Kristina

On 3/16/2019 at 11:04 PM, Yankee63 said:

I have spent enough time reading of how the "pig" can sew.

It may take a few adjustments, or improvements but I am handy so I will work through it.

I'm interested on how you've got on as well

Can someone take a photo of the shuttle with the two covers slid back out of the way, and maybe the shuttle out of the machine?

God bless

I've seen some popular reviews on this machine.  They are interesting to say the least.

On 6/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, MikeRock said:

Can someone take a photo of the shuttle with the two covers slid back out of the way, and maybe the shuttle out of the machine?

God bless

If your on Facebook you should join the group called Chinese Patcher there is a lot of good info on it that will help you.

A normal sewing machine have a hard point in the sewing cycle, when the needle is on its way up and the eye is in the middle of the fabric. Then the friction to the thread is high from needle and fabric. At the same time the hook pulls down the thread, and the local thread tension to do this can be very high. With a needle too small it can cause the machine to stop or the thread to be damaged. I think this is taken into account, when you use tables from internet, that suggest needle sizes for threads.

But this patcher is different, because the needle bar movement is controlled by a cam. The needle remains down with the needle eye below the fabric while the hook pulls down the thread. Therefore this machine might be able to handle a thicker thread for the same needle size that you normally will see for other machines.

I link to this youtube video from a guy, that expects to use a V207 thread with a size 22 needle. https://youtu.be/Vv9eZbRR2z8

On 6/23/2020 at 7:56 AM, MikeRock said:

God bless

There's a guy with a series of videos about these machines, including setting them up, disassembling for cleaning, top five questions, etc.

Mainely Acres is the channel name 

On 3/14/2019 at 1:02 PM, Yankee63 said:

HU-JI, looks like model 43-6.

Doug, do you mind sharing a link to the seller of this machine? I am on the market for a desktop/portable patcher too.

Mine is doing great.  It took a month of fiddling and tearing y hair out till I figured how to time it. then the tension is the next hurdle

after that. you are golden

Which needle system and bobbin size do they use?

Some of them I see advertised use a household System HAx1 needle. That would really limit the thickness you could sew.

I use HAx1   size 20    I have  size 21 on order

for parts /needles/thread  seek out   bantam saddle tack

he has bobbins.  

005.jpg.75e4cbc711d23ef38c489ba552c5fb83.jpg

Edited by Frodo

8 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Which needle system and bobbin size do they use?

The Chinese patcher's can be converted to a more standard 135x16 needle series fairly easily by adjusting the needle bar up about 4mm and opening up the bobbin cover plate hole slightly to allow for the larger needle diameter. The bobbin size is it's main downfall from a sewing prospective. The bobbin is really small which means less available bobbin thread thus shorter seam lengths before having to do bobbin changes.

kgg