plinkercases

Adler Chandler model 190 - thoughts - experience?

I have a line on a Adler Chandler model 190 harness stitching cylinder bed.

Current user making tack and dog collars etc so working order and maintained.

I can locate any original specs on max needle thread and lift etc.

Any thoughts, ideas or experience with this machine?

any pics?

glenn

Just this one pic available

$_59.jpg

It looks like a clone of an Adler 105-64

Any advice on its capabilities? max needle and thread and lift etc.?

2 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Any advice on its capabilities? max needle and thread and lift etc.?

Search Leatherworker.net for Adler 105-64. There should be a few discussions about the machine and its capacities.

Chandler for a long time was the Adler importer here in the US.  There were a lot of Chandler Adler machines here.  That looks like a 105-64 which is a bottom feed, needle feed machine.  Will sew 12mm with heavy thread  #277 and up.  Good machine.  It was the heaviest Adler cylinder arm made until the Ferd came up with the Bull using a 105-64.  Then Adler came out with the 205-74 in late1985 which became the 205-370.   Uses needle system #328 if I remember correctly.

glenn

Thanks gents. I may pick up...

send pics of the plate in the back if you can showing model number.

glenn

I will ask the vendor if they can do that. Stand by.

On 3/16/2019 at 7:35 AM, shoepatcher said:

Chandler for a long time was the Adler importer here in the US.  There were a lot of Chandler Adler machines here.  That looks like a 105-64 which is a bottom feed, needle feed machine.  Will sew 12mm with heavy thread  #277 and up.  Good machine.  It was the heaviest Adler cylinder arm made until the Ferd came up with the Bull using a 105-64.  Then Adler came out with the 205-74 in late1985 which became the 205-370.   Uses needle system #328 if I remember correctly.

glenn

I sewed with one several years before selling, Pretty positive from memory Yes correct on the needle size #328 and was bit wimpy smaller than 794 .  the cylinder Bobbin was smaller also . using #346 was pushing to much but it did #277 well .  ( mine was bottom feed model ), 1/2" thick was about the limit, but for just a bottom-feed it actually sewed very well and smooth . . also it a pretty solid machine and there is/was a crapload of import clone machines floating around made off the parent machine design  .

Thank you nylonRigging. based on the fact it is limited to about 1/2 and 277 comfortably and the "wimpy" needle I will pass.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, plinkercases said:

Thanks gents. I may pick up...

I have the identical Adler 105-64 and it is a tank of a machine!!! 10+ years in use, never failed!!! Bobbin and hock is still available, feet's too...using 207 on top and 138 on bottom....runs like a champ...good for heavier thread too....about 5/8" thickness you can do...but stitch length will suffer then....depending what he want for it and working correctly...it's a a GREAT machine!!

Thanks Jimbob.

It is currently in use and has been regularly serviced...now I am back considering it...

This is a case of bring your own stack of leather and see if it sews that thickness and what the maximum stitch length is at that thickness.

Thanks Wiz an excellent suggestion as always.

Its about 2 hours away but I have family nearby there so I may just go give it a spin if it stays on the market fro another week or two

39 minutes ago, plinkercases said:

Thanks Wiz an excellent suggestion as always.

Its about 2 hours away but I have family nearby there so I may just go give it a spin if it stays on the market fro another week or two

You could ask the seller if they could sew a 1/2 inch stack of leather with the heaviest thread and matching needle they have, at the maximum stitch length, sending you a photo of the results.

7 hours ago, plinkercases said:

Thank you nylonRigging. based on the fact it is limited to about 1/2 and 277 comfortably and the "wimpy" needle I will pass.

I need to rephrase that ( wimpy ) .
It smaller shorter,  than the #794,  But It is still pretty ridged with a thick shank . It just wont punch the depth like the 794 will .
I just remembered I had old one laying in the magnetic straight-pin box . So here is a pic. side by side . 328 & 794 , Scarf side-up .

..needles...jpg

Edited by nylonRigging

A 105-64 is what Ferd built the first Bull out of.  That would sew 1" of leather.  German engineers from Adler came over from Germany to see the machine and were amazed it would sew.  The had never seen anything like it.   Ferd's son Ron told me the story some years ago.  For those of you who do not know, I am talking about Ferdinand Jean Blanc who was a legend and a genius when it came to heavy leather stitches.  I met him some years ago at the IFA show in Atlanta and the Cowboy boot show in Texas.  He built the Bull and the Pro 2000. I heard he is in a medical facility now in Idaho.  Great guy.

glenn