1willi4

Which rivet / snap press to get

It seems like most leather supplier has their own rivet and snap press. Whose or which press do you recommend?  

Get the set to match the snaps you buy from the same seller. Others may not suit

After placing an order with Goldstar and the buckle guy I see there isn't really much contest.

I have used Tandy hardware mostly. Then wound up with a Goldstar press and hardware from a lot sale. The press seems fine. I ordered some non press type hardware from Goldstar and while it was cheap, it was no bargain. Most of the stuff I wouldn't want to use.

So, for that particular project run I spent some more money and tried the buckle guy. It was no comparison. Solid brass everything and built like a Sherman tank. I will be trying to use their stuff exclusively from now on. It will be tough though, I have a lot of hardware from Tandy, Goldstar, and a few random things of unknown origin. 

Even buckle Guy's hand rivet setters are a real cut above. Cnc machined setters and anvils. Meaning they left no unsightly rings on the surrounding leather.

I was very impressed. 

I have been picking up Stimpson 405 press when I can find them. These are the old cast iron ones. Really robust press. Wouldn’t mind picking up  another one.  I use rivets and snaps from Weaver supply. Pleased so far.

E9C3E891-4F6D-4CFB-8A34-75C1839482B6.jpeg

Edited by klutes

16 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

After placing an order with Goldstar and the buckle guy I see there isn't really much contest.

I have used Tandy hardware mostly. Then wound up with a Goldstar press and hardware from a lot sale. The press seems fine. I ordered some non press type hardware from Goldstar and while it was cheap, it was no bargain. Most of the stuff I wouldn't want to use.

So, for that particular project run I spent some more money and tried the buckle guy. It was no comparison. Solid brass everything and built like a Sherman tank. I will be trying to use their stuff exclusively from now on. It will be tough though, I have a lot of hardware from Tandy, Goldstar, and a few random things of unknown origin. 

Even buckle Guy's hand rivet setters are a real cut above. Cnc machined setters and anvils. Meaning they left no unsightly rings on the surrounding leather.

I was very impressed. 

Hi Mutt - do the snaps from Buckle Guy work ok with the Goldstar press?  I am using Goldstar snaps and they seem to work ok, but if there are better snaps out there I would like to use them.

Gary

1 hour ago, garypl said:

Hi Mutt - do the snaps from Buckle Guy work ok with the Goldstar press?  I am using Goldstar snaps and they seem to work ok, but if there are better snaps out there I would like to use them.

Gary

I don't have any of their snaps yet. Just jiffy rivets, buckles, and d rings so far.

I plan to make an order soon, but I doubt they will fit. We'll see.

Even if line 24 snaps work in the Goldstar does, it doesn't mean other sizes will. :dunno:

This may turn out to be a costly upgrade.