Hi All,

I'm trying to find hardware to reinforce slots that a strap will be passing through.  I've seen it on other products before and they tend to look like this strap loop (https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/1909-hardware-strap-loop-antique-brass-nickel-free), though I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm after.  I imagine the loop itself will need to be on both sides of the leather and set, but never doing it myself I'm not sure.

To summarize, I'm looking for metal hardware to act as a slot after performing an oblong punch and could use some assistance of the name they're called and possibly where they may be purchased.  

Thank you,
LC

EBay has 'oval shaped metal eyelets' and you may need a setting tool.

Best

H

If you put your location on your profile it will help with replies..sometimes "shipping charges" can be waaay more than the cost of the item(s), depending on where "you" are in relation to a supplier..

Edited by mikesc

Ohio Travel Bag would be a likely place. What you're looking for is a long rectangular grommet, essentially. I've never used one, but imagine it would indeed require a setter.

I just checked, Ohio Travel Bag does have them. Search for eyelets and grommets.

Jeff

Edited by alpha2

@mikesc fair point.  I guess I shouldn't have asked about location, my apologies.  Leatherworker.net was under http (and not https), so as a newly registered member, my confidence was low in thinking how my information would be used or that it might be kept secure.  I'll consider changing that as I become more familiar and more confident in the future.

@hwinbermuda and @alpha2 perfect!  Eyelets and grommets were the terms I was looking for, but could not recall. I'm fairly new and have been only doing pretty much only leather and thread (cotton/nylon), with a few rivets, snaps, rings, and loops here and there.  Your quick reply was better than hours of googling.. I guess I could have referred to my Stohlman book, but maybe I got lazy? :D  Thank you, again!

HTTP or HTTPS..any webmaster who knows how to grep and reverse logs can tell where you are from your IP..
Adding a location to your profile isn't exposing you to any risks , on any site..even under HTTP..the webmaster / forum owner already knows your IP and can easily do a reverse trace / search on it..

( The mods here see your IP and can ( and do ) sometimes out give approximations as to where the OP ( original poster is located ) when anyone asks in open fora because they are trying to help locate the nearest supplier to any OP )

It is helpful to members ( who are not mods ) when they reply to questions such as yours though..if they can see your location..such as in my case "Brittany France"..the "back end" already has my IP logged and visible to any mod, and it will tell them ( if they know how to extract that information ) the town that I am in..and locate me down to my precise address ( if my ISP gave out such fine grained details..my ISP does not ) ..But the town..yes..that is already visible in my IP address..each DSLAM identifies itself with it's own unique identifier to very website that anyone using it accesses..same applies to all DSLAMs ..worldwide..

Unless you are using TOR..which is not half as anonymous as many like to think it is..

HTTPS encrypts your "information" ( what you post, what you read, or what you look at etc ) when you visit a site..it does not "hide" your IP address..that is visible to anyone who has various levels of "access" to the "back end" of any website..whether the site is running under HTTPS or HTTP..

It is in the site "logs" from the moment that your browser makes the connection, via HTTP or HTTPS..It has to be..if not the site would not know what IP address to return the requested data to..

Entering a site via a "proxy" etc ..is slightly different, depending upon how you do it, but that is severely drifting "off topic" even for me :)

Edited by mikesc

@mikesc I have VPNs that hit different servers and I'm not that concerned to use Tor or anything else. It wasn't about IP location, it was about confidence of personal information being posted and what it's being used for (mostly outside the site), linked with usernames, passwords, and cookies.  And again, on traffic that is coming to and from the site not being in HTTPS, it is easily read and databased by many things browsing the web.  Though, the fact that a login form was accepting a password and not using HTTPs or some encrypted channel did disturb me, but I feel this conversation is better suited elsewhere :)

You're right about the location — thank you

Edited by LeatherCritic