Chief Filipino

Leather in humid/tropical climate

Hello all! I am thinking of moving to Maui, Hawaii and I would like to continue crafting there however I am concerned about storing my leather goods and hides. Does anyone live in a tropical climate who could share some advice? 

Thanks!

This will sound worse than reality, as it becomes habitual quickly...

I lived in Bermuda and The Caribbean and mold / mould through warmth and moisture are the main enemies.

Protection from these, through good (expensive) air conditioning and loads of silica sachets in tool boxes, and sorage areas, anti rust papers for your blades, etc.

Denatured alcohol to clean any mold you find immediately.

Keeping stock of leathe low, so its the store's problem to keep it useable, bring it in as you need it.

Find and build a rapport with any local suppliers, they may store your stock for you, away from the sales area.

Oh, and keep it clean and critter proof. Bermuda has 3 inch long flying cockroaches, you don't want to pick up your round knife and one to fly up. Baygon (the green one, banned in the US) became a good friend.

Check out supply sources in the areas, before you go, it may be cheaper to stock and ship your own consumables.

Some glues and dyes you're used to may be illegal or impractical where you're going.

But first and foremost enjoy the new opportunities, cruise ship markets different historical culture to incorporate. I am envious.

Best

Harry

Looking at your current location, it's the bone dry versus 100% humidity issue that's the main change.

On 3/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, hwinbermuda said:

Looking at your current location, it's the bone dry versus 100% humidity issue that's the main change.

Thank you for the tips! I am thinking that I will make and sell off everything I have before the move, that way I can kind of start fresh. It’s not 100% for sure but it is definitely something I’m researchig. 

People often think and realize the consequences of climate change. I lived for a long time in Europe and USA and I can speak about such things with confidence. I recommend that you delve deeper into the study of this topic, for example, you can here learn more about the consequences of climate change, and how to adapt to this in different regions, also read about minimizing risks, the main causes and factors of influence both in Europe and on other continents to understand the general picture of the world and get the possibilities for comparisons.

Edited by HenryDundalli