Kabob

Singer 153b8b

I'm eyeballing this machine for my needs.

Is this a predecessor to the 227 consew? Or is it a bit bigger?(277)

Does anyone know the max thread size?

Max stick  length?

Max thickness?

I've got a cowboy 4500 and I'm looking for a cylinder machine for wallets and bags.

I'd like to be able to run 207 thread as the max.

Thanks Bob Wright.

This machine did not pre-date the Consew 227 which was created by Seiko. The Consew 227 machine was a copy of the  earlier Singer 153K or W but with improvements.  The 153b8b was made for Singer by either Consew or Brother.  Maximum thread size is #138.  maximum stitch length 5-5.5mm.  3/8"maximum thickness.  I strongly doubt you can run #207 thru the machine., certainly not in the bobbin and probably not on the top.

glenn

All of the class 153 machines are rated at #138 thread, top and bottom. The stitch length depends on the type of stitch length adjuster used in that particular machine and how you set it up. My Singer class 111 walking foot machines have a threaded rod and knob on the back of the hand wheel. The maximum stitch length is about 4 to the inch. The later model 111w155 was able to eek out 3.5 spi, using a different stitch length system.

The Singer 153 uses a standard G size bobbin that does not hold nearly as much #138 thread as newer M style bobbin machines do.

What's gonna be the max presser foot lift?

The price is $1295 clutch motor and a new table.

I'm thinking I can talk him down to $1100, not sure yet about that.

Is this a good machine for my needs.

Will it do bags and other items with authority? Or am I better off to go with a juki 341?

I looked at a Typical GC2605 ($1500)and the max stick length is advertised as. 6mm and my local shop couldn't get that out of there demo unit.

The model number certainly suggests some Seiko/Consew heritage (AKA the Seiko CW-8B)...and at the least, that *B* in their models usually indicated the larger "M" style bobbins. The Seiko specs for the CW series show a max foot lift (by pedal) of 14mm, and a max stitch length of 5mm.

-DC

That means the lift is 14 mm but it will not sew that thick!!!

glenn

14 minutes ago, shoepatcher said:

That means the lift is 14 mm but it will not sew that thick!!!

glenn

Heavens no. That is the manufacturer's description of the MAXIMUM mechanical foot lift available, and like any other machine, its designed to unload the thread tension a good bit before that height. Technically it might sew, but it won't make viable stitches. My SK-6 lifts almost 16mm by pedal, but only will sew about 11.5mm.

-DC

I know what you mean.

glenn