SaintJoy18

Check? Check!

Hi all!

This is my absolute first attempt at stamping and carving (since cub scouts 30 some years ago). I will admit I did a few practice runs on some scrap but you get the gist.

It is a presentation check for a breast cancer awareness drive and I really like the way it turned out. Even with my obvious newbie mistakes!

My barbed wire stamping doesn't completely line up and gets a little wonky, but loose barbed wire doesn't lay straight anyway! AND, I managed to stamp the "3" at the bottom backwards... Serious forehead slap there! It was still fun to make though.

I drew out and hand carved the "DC" in the upper left and used a beeswax/neatsfoot concoction I mixed up on a microfiber rag for the sealer. Hand burnished, still needs a little more to get the deep color I want. And yes, it IS supposed to have a "fade in" look.

Anyhow, this is my first try and thought I would share after lurking around here for some time. Critiques are welcome! 

Scott

IMG_20190316_182054602.jpg

Nice job! That’s a fun first project, I’m sure it will be quite the attention getter. Are you planning to stitch it onto something, or are the holes decorative?

Thanks! I laced hot pink Paracord through the holes in an "X" pattern. I had originally used pink roo lacing but it was too dull.

I think I still need to do something to make the lettering stand out more. I'm just not sure what to do with it.