Antonia

Zip around wallet

Hi, I am trying to make a zip around wallet. I have figured out putting in the zip using a wooden mold, but I don't know how to do the edge stitching around the zip, so that I catch in both the outer leather case and the internal pieces and get it to look neat. In the photos you can see I have done the white stitching on the blue outer case (this is a practice piece) but I can't get the stitches to catch the inside pieces. Grateful for any ideas.

IMG_20190318_151849.jpg

Nice. Try using a wing divider to set the distance from the edge of the piece in for a stitching line. Use some rubber cement to stick the inner and rear outer leather together then sew. But most of all have fun.

Is there a way to separate the zipper so that you can do each side separately?  That is what I would do.  Also, the advice above is correct, glue the inner pieces prior to stitching and use a wing divider or straight edge and scratch awl to make a nice, straight line to use as a benchmark for your stitching.

Separating the zipper would allow more access to the parts to be stitched.  After it is complete, simply re-attach the zipper and put a zipper stop at the end of the zipper opposite the pull.  Zipper stops can be purchased or you can probably create your own with some creativity. 

Thank you very much Grumpymann and Tugadude for your suggestions, I will have another try! 

@Antonia May I ask what type of sewing machine are you trying to sew this purse with? This could have something to do with it.

On 3/19/2019 at 4:03 AM, RockyAussie said:

@Antonia May I ask what type of sewing machine are you trying to sew this purse with? This could have something to do with it.

Hi RockyAussie, I don't use any sewing machine, I do handstitching. 

Edited by Antonia
Typo

6 hours ago, Antonia said:

Hi RockyAussie, I don't use any sewing machine, I do handstitching. 

I was worried you may come back and say that. This type of product is not a piece I would recommend making early on in your leather working. You need to use a divider or something to mark a line around the perimeter. If I were to be doing this by hand I would do my line and pre punch my stitching holes around the outer fully before attaching the outer to the inner. If the pattern is correct after attaching the zip to the inside, the inside should be just showing a little larger than the outer after it is attached. This is normally less than 1mm all around on mine. See below a few pictures that may help. I would do some practice on your perimeter stitching before going back to such a difficult product piece.

DSC08078_resize.JPG

DSC08085_resize.JPG

DSC08091_resize.JPG

DSC08108_resize.JPG

Regards Brian

On 3/24/2019 at 11:04 PM, RockyAussie said:

I was worried you may come back and say that. This type of product is not a piece I would recommend making early on in your leather working. You need to use a divider or something to mark a line around the perimeter. If I were to be doing this by hand I would do my line and pre punch my stitching holes around the outer fully before attaching the outer to the inner. If the pattern is correct after attaching the zip to the inside, the inside should be just showing a little larger than the outer after it is attached. This is normally less than 1mm all around on mine. See below a few pictures that may help. I would do some practice on your perimeter stitching before going back to such a difficult product piece.

Hi Brian, I hope this is the right way to reply to your post but my computer skills are limited, and I have a feeling that I have copied and pasted your post to me. Anyway, thank you very much for such a helpful reply and all the photos. Your wallet looks fabulous and it is what I am aspiring to. At the moment I make smaller items for my Etsy shop (HoneysuckleBarn) and I thought it was time to venture onto more complicated items. I will definitely try your suggestions as it is obviously working very well for you. Thanks again.

DSC08078_resize.JPG

DSC08085_resize.JPG

DSC08091_resize.JPG

DSC08108_resize.JPG

Regards Brian