dprezgay

Leather Display Ideas

If you've read any of my other posts, you know what I am trying to do with working with Scouts and other youth groups.  This year I plan on running the Leatherwork Merit Badge at our Summer Camp.  One of the things I'm trying to do is to put together several displays that I can hang up around the facility to show the kids some interesting leathers.  

I'd like to thank Kevin and Rusty at Springfield Leather for generously donating  leathers from different animals (lamb, a few caiman, a couple snake, lizard, bison, elk, deer, ostrich, elephant, pig, shark and carp).

See Photo

I need some suggestions on how to display these.

So this is what I'm asking for:

Suggestions about how to actually display them.

What information should I include on the display.

Other types of leather, if you can donate them.  PM me for my address.

I first thought about putting them in a display cabinet behind glass.  But I ruled that out since it would be very heavy and I want to be able to add more as I get them and I think it is important that they be able to touch them.

I could create a single board for each sample and link them together to form a display to hang.

I could mount them on large sheets of plywood to hang or create a floor display with 2 pieces of plywood, back to back, and the bottom spread out.

I could put them in a binder with each type on a different page.  I'm not a big fan of this idea since a binder, or certain pages, could easily "disappear".

I could just pass them around during the initial class when talking about different types of leather.  This would be the easiest but I would have the same problem as above.

I could make a big "quilt" like display with just a small name plate stating the type of leather.  This would be the most difficult, but might be the best.

Any help would be appreciated, especially with additional leather samples.

Thanks,

Dale

Donated leathers from Springfield.jpg

No answers for you eh?

What ever you do will be a compromise, to ether weight or handiness.

Here's what I might do. 2 soft wood frames, each maybe 2 ft x 1.5 ft. Hinge the frames together, book form. Panel over each with 3mm MDF, or even 6mm. Paint it all undercoat/primer white. Attach pieces of various leathers, patches no less than 4 inch square. Attach the leather using two ready-rivets or chicago screws, one in each top corner, allowing the leather to hang free. Attach in neat rows across and columns down. Print and attach description labels for each leather. The panels should each take about 20 to 24 pieces, less if you make the pieces larger.

The book form panels can be folded for carrying, opened up to set on a table top. The loose ends of the leather lets people touch and feel the leather. Add more double panels to your display when needed.

Please close this post.

Thanks,

Dale