JazzBass

This MUST be a Joke!! ...Nope!

Bought a new C.S Osborne #70 round knife, and was making this sheath for it when I actually read the warning sticker:

image.png.115c994730d096084a36cee085e876ce.png

#1 - I'd like to know how this knife can have a cancer risk
#2 Reproductive harm? I assume that they mean in some way other than dropping it in your lap.

Yes, it seems like a joke, but I went to the website listed, and it is indeed about California Prop 65 warnings requirements, so, SOMEBODY is serious about this.
Which makes it even more of a joke, depending on how you look at it. Odder still, C.S. Osborne is in New Jersey, yet a seller in CA was apparently required to affix this dire warning. Hmm...

One question - we've all seen ridiculous warnings. (go buy a ladder), but they generally have SOMETHING to do with the function of the item itself. Can anyone top this one for preposterously absurd irrelevance??

51 minutes ago, JazzBass said:

Can anyone top this one for preposterously absurd irrelevance??

Obviously someone is just trying to be funny.

Yeppers.  Even when you try to sell something on Ebay, you are asked if it is a Prop 65 item.  If everything is a warning, then nothing becomes important.  Impossible to tell what is really dangerous vs. what isn't.  Another case of how laws are not necessarily logical.

YinTx

16 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Another case of how laws are not necessarily logical.

Another case of lawyers looking for work, and businesses simply trying to protect themselves.

It probably relates to glues and garnishes used, I am shocked it doesn't warn you it may be sharp.

I bought peanuts in the US that kindly warned me they "may" contain nuts.

H

1 hour ago, hwinbermuda said:

I bought peanuts in the US that kindly warned me they "may" contain nuts.

That should be the warning for the California State legislature.

I bought a new steam iron. The type for smoothing clothes.

Warnings on it were: a. to keep water away from it,  b. not to iron clothes whilst wearing them

I worked for a chemical manufacturer.  On new products, the packaging had to be evaluated by a team in both the U.S. and then Germany (where the parent company resided).  The process would take up to 3 months and one of the main reasons was legal conformance.  Companies with deep pockets are easy targets for lawsuits and even smaller ones like C.S. Osborne must take great pains to prevent themselves from being easy marks.

What bothers me is when the warnings cease to be about helping people stay healthy and companies shielding themselves from tort action.  How is that really helping anybody?  

It is sort of how everything is "green" these days.  It went from a good thing to simply a marketing ploy.

Stay calm!! Slowly back away from the knife...

Silly, but manufacturers have to do this because their products may end up in California, which has a huge, ever-changing list, of chemicals they're protecting us from. 

fyi:  Brass: contains lead. Stainless Steel: Chromium. Both known carcinogens. So just don't consume your knife and you'll be fine. ---j

3 hours ago, fredk said:

I bought a new steam iron. The type for smoothing clothes.

Warnings on it were: a. to keep water away from it,  b. not to iron clothes whilst wearing them

Yep because someone somewhere did it and sued someone. I say remove all warning labels and let things sort themselves out. :drum:

Since it is just trying to warn the foolish / stupid so I think it should have had a couple of more tags on it.

Big red arrow on the blade with the words "Maybe Sharp."

"Operator must be trained in the proper use of a deadly weapon and stored in a locked weapon safe at all times."

"Keep body parts away from sharp end, not recommended for picking ones nose or a** scratching."

kgg

Its not just limited to things you buy- Look at the British knife laws, the Aussie gun laws and the ever expanding "Allergy" listings on many products... I make knives as a hobby and was recently un-invited from a show because my products are "violent in nature"...  and not allowed to be shown to the public... "No weaponry allowed" was the wording in the letter

How is a cheese knife any more violent than a rolling pin in the hands of someone who wants to commit a crime??

How can we expect Darwin's principle (survival of the fittest) ever work properly with warning labels?

They say there is no cure for stupid. Warning labels may be an attempted cure.

everything causes cancer in California.  You should be safe everywhere else

1 hour ago, Mark3031 said:

everything causes cancer in California.  You should be safe everywhere else

This may well be my favorite response to anything, anywhere:yeah:

Edited by hwinbermuda

The real laugh is that there's no warning concerning how you could ACTUALLY get hurt. I guess no one in California ever cuts themselves - they all must die of cancer first...or just plain stupidity.

When do we as a people just say, "ENOUGH!"?
Bureaucrats and bottomfeeders (but I repeat myself) are spending our money to come up with this crap, and livin' high on the hog for doing it, while lording over every aspect of our lives.

It's unbelievable what people are willing to tolerate. To quote from what SHOULD be a familiar document:

"Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Aint it the truth?!!
(I won't bother to quote the next sentence, apropos though it may be. )

14 hours ago, JazzBass said:

Bought a new C.S Osborne #70 round knife, and was making this sheath for it when I actually read the warning sticker:

image.png.115c994730d096084a36cee085e876ce.png

#1 - I'd like to know how this knife can have a cancer risk
#2 Reproductive harm? I assume that they mean in some way other than dropping it in your lap.

Yes, it seems like a joke, but I went to the website listed, and it is indeed about California Prop 65 warnings requirements, so, SOMEBODY is serious about this.
Which makes it even more of a joke, depending on how you look at it. Odder still, C.S. Osborne is in New Jersey, yet a seller in CA was apparently required to affix this dire warning. Hmm...

One question - we've all seen ridiculous warnings. (go buy a ladder), but they generally have SOMETHING to do with the function of the item itself. Can anyone top this one for preposterously absurd irrelevance??

BTW, maybe by "Reproductive Harm" they meant in the hands of Lorena Bobbitt?  

17 hours ago, JazzBass said:

That should be the warning for the California State legislature.

how about leaving lame political comments off the forum 

Edited by timesofplenty

21 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

Obviously someone is just trying to be funny.

This is not someone trying to be funny; it is a requirement in your State that ANYTHING that contains any material or substance that is on the CA hit list of items is required to have this warning.  In fact, I have come to the conclusion that living in the State of California is known to cause cancer or any other type of serious medical condition.  This is the only State that has a restriction that restricts another restriction just because they can't do anything worthwhile in Sacramento aside from create wasteful legislation that has no other purpose than to stifle an economy.

3 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

it is a requirement in your State that ANYTHING that contains any material or substance that is on the CA hit list of items is required to have this warning. 

If that was the case, we would have the warning on everything we purchase, and that is simply not the case. I buy tools all the time and have never seen the warning on any of them. You might want to know that CA is a fairly large piece of real estate, and not every locale is in lock-step with Sacramento... think State of Jefferson. 

Edited by LatigoAmigo

In Ukraine, several years ago, they introduced mandatory labeling of products "Does not contain genetically modified components."
It's funny to watch this sign on bottled plain water :)

This is from November 2018....California violations of Prop 65.  Tools are specifically called out in the first section.  Any tool with plastic as a component has a probability of containing an offending chemical under the prop.

rs=w:1280

Notice the warning near the middle of the second page...

image.thumb.png.b97f96e6299c2980b237cef80a54f132.png

Edited by Tugadude

I was curious if a hand tool would have a similar warning since it has no electronics.  Sure enough, the hack saw had the Prop 65 warning too.

image.thumb.png.41259cc749db69e72223850cad720b7f.png

Edited by Tugadude