Sign in to follow this  
BentleyLeather

Help with type of Leather for a purse

So I am looking to make a "tote" or large purse. Just a simple square shape around 18-24" and 4-6" width at the bottom and a square pocket on the outside. Likely unlined to begin with. 

To date I have purchased: Wickett and Craig (bellies in English Bridle and skirting) ; Springfield leather: ( "oil tan" all different types, veg tan in their line up as well as Hermann Oak  in veg tan and English bridle) 

I know the average weighs for this project are typically about 6-7oz in weight or around 2mm in thickness. 

My question is what type of leather should I purchase?? I would like a veg tan based on my experience thus far. Just want to be completely sure what to buy or have done to the side before I put in my order. (i.e., pasted back split to 6oz, etc..) 

If you have ordered sides from WandC this would be extremely helpful. Open to all suggestions. 

Thank you all for you help! 

Unless you plan on tooling it I would get something a little more weather friendly. Acadia has some great deals just about every day on Instagram. Most of their stuff seems to be in the 4-6 range and makes beautiful totes.

5 oz. leather is approximately 2mm in thickness.  So 6/7 oz. will be a little thicker is that matters to you.  I had good results in using some 4/5 oz. buffalo culatta from Springfield recently.  It was a book bag for one of my daughters and was essentially a tote as you are describing.  Is your tote going to be lined?  That might impact your choice too.  I made a tote out of some really nice latigo one time but when I finished it, I regretted using the 7 oz. thickness due to the weight.  Even empty the thing was a beast.  So make sure of what you want before diving in.  You may want it to be a tank, so heavier is better.

Since u have bought from W&C before, why not ask them what is the best buy for what u are making.

Sorry for the delay in my reply (work has me covered up) BUT Thank you all for the input. I looked around at a lot of sites and called WandC again to get another opinion. I will probably purchase some leather from Acadia soon and the buffalo has my eye as well.

I ended up purchasing a side from Maverick Leather (Horween Essex). I hope this is not another one of my "there goes another $100" moments.. The leather looked good based on the website and the sales rep was very patient with me and put me on hold to get a side to confirm exactly what it was like. 

Hopefully I will get the order early next week.