kbarker

Looking for first Heavy Duty Machine

Hi All! 

So I've been sewing with a 20 year old Chandler machine, just making leather/canvas bags for fun, but I'm looking at building some knife sheaths and heavier items. I've run into issues with my Chandler not having the clearance on the foot to fit thicker projects and think an open arm is the way to go, but I'm overwhelmed with the choices. Price isn't really an issue, I just want to get a solid machine I can do anything on from chinks, leather bags, holster work... you name it. I don't have enough of an expertise to critically look at used machines locally or feel comfortable in buying one online. Any tips, nudges, suggestions on brands or models is much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

1 hour ago, kbarker said:

Hi All! 

So I've been sewing with a 20 year old Chandler machine, just making leather/canvas bags for fun, but I'm looking at building some knife sheaths and heavier items. I've run into issues with my Chandler not having the clearance on the foot to fit thicker projects and think an open arm is the way to go, but I'm overwhelmed with the choices. Price isn't really an issue, I just want to get a solid machine I can do anything on from chinks, leather bags, holster work... you name it. I don't have enough of an expertise to critically look at used machines locally or feel comfortable in buying one online. Any tips, nudges, suggestions on brands or models is much appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Hi, our SP268 Heavy Duty Shoes Sidewall Sole Stitching Machine can stitching heavy duty shoes.  please check the below video:

More infomation please check the link: http://robinindustry.com/product/423.html

Kbarker not sure where in MT you are but I would look to come to the Sheridan, WY leather show in May. There will be a lot of leather people and venders there so you could look at a lot of things first hand.

Check out the Cobra machines from Leather Machine Co. I have a Cobra Class 4 and love it. I sew Wallets, belts, holsters, purses, sheaths and have even sewn heavy denim for clutch purses on it. 

16 hours ago, kbarker said:

Hi All! 

You're about to encounter the classic what machine can do it all conundrum. The answer is none. You already have a machine type for medium thicknesses with #138 thread. To sew thicker, and/or with heavier thread, you will need a substantially heavier duty machine. This class of machine is sometimes called a harness stitcher, because that's what they were originally designed to sew (as well as thick buffing wheels. There are several machine styles in this category. They are...

• GA5-1 style, based on/cloned from the Singer 45k models. These are bottom feed only machines that are usually setup to sew between 7/16 and 1/2 inch of leather. The teeth really dig in hard on the bottom. They are best used with thread sizes 138 through 346. Your least expensive option, they sell for between $1000 and $1400.
  • Juki TSC-441 and clones. These machines have triple feed and can sew at least 3/4 inch, with Cowboy, Cobra and Techsew models rated at 7/8. The aforementioned clones have smooth feed dogs. The original Juki did not, but may now have it as an option. A Juki 441 will cost you about $6,000, while the clones go for the mid 2ks through lower 3ks.
  • Cowboy CB3200. This machine has triple feed, a smooth feed dog, sews up to 1/2 inch and can be tweaked for 5/8 inch by giving up the very bottom. It uses the same needles as the bigger brothers from Cowboy and thread from #138 through 415. They sell for $1900 right now.
  • Adler 205-370/374. These machines (discontinued by Adler) sew 3/4 inch and run smoother than the Juki and its clones. The 374 subclass has a smooth feed dog. They were selling for between $6500 and $7,000 until the end.
  • The new Adler 969 ECO. It sews almost an inch of leather and has a built in motor. They are sold by Weaver Leather and cost about $10,000, more or less.
  • Campbell-Randall Lockstitch machines have a needle and awl and produce an awesome stitch that looks great on both sides. They sew 3/4 inch out of the box, with higher lift options available. They can use linen or bonded polyester thread, from 3 cord through 7 or 8 cord (~#138 through #556 bonded), with the proper needle and awl combination. There is a learning curve and they are very expensive (over 6k). Sold in Texas.
  • Union Lockstitch machine, also sole by Campbell-Randall company in Texas. This is a high speed needle and awl harness stitcher that sews 3/4 inch. Handles the same thread types and sizes as the Campbell-Randall. A little less expensive the the CR Lockstitch (~5k).

Thank you all for the feedback. I like the cylinder style machines with their ability to move a project around and the flexible space with odd shapes. The specificity you all have lent is incredibly appreciated. I do plan on attending the Rocky Mountain Leather Show in May so hopefully I can find more there.

On 3/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, robinindustry said:

Hi, our SP268 Heavy Duty Shoes Sidewall Sole Stitching Machine can stitching heavy duty shoes.  please check the below video:

More infomation please check the link: http://robinindustry.com/product/423.html

That is a Very Cool Machine...

4 hours ago, BattleAx said:

That is a Very Cool Machine...

I know somebody locally who bought one of these sidewall sewers from Robin. I will ask for her impressions of it and post them if given permission.