A few years ago, I got my dad a Ruger Blackhawk for Christmas. At the time, I wanted to make a holster to go with it, but I was finishing up my post doc.  Simply, I didn't have enough time to get it done. 

He asked me for a shoulder rig earlier this year, and I said, how about a bandolero. That way you dont have buckles and snaps to fool with. 

received_595232514279617.jpeg

received_663575254074352.jpeg

Top work,nice and simple. Should give years of use

Nice job Colt!  Will you provide details on materials used, finish, etc?

Gary

Oh hell yeah!

That's awesome!

11 hours ago, garypl said:

Nice job Colt!  Will you provide details on materials used, finish, etc?

Gary

Sure thing. 

The Bandolero is 5/6 oz double shoulder lined with 5/6 oz double shoulder. I cut it in the V shape so that it flow around the shoulder better than a straight strap. The bullet loops are 2/3 oz kipskin leather. The holster is 7/8 oz double shoulder lined in 2/3 oz kipskin. Dyed on the front with fiebings pro oil dye black. Then finished with air brushed mop n glo thinned with water. the edges were burnished first with saddle soap, then beeswax. The bandolero is machine stitched, except for the where the holster folds over and meets. I had stitched that with some really thick thread for strength. My big sewing machine is on campus, and I didn't want to drive all the way out there for such a short stitch. The holster was wet molded, and baked to make it hard so it will keep its retention and shape for as long as possible. 

When I case my leather, I take that opportunity to give a good wash with saddle soap. I find this conditions the leather, and removes all the oils and dirt that can screw with dying. Before dye, I gave it a good coat of oil, let it sit overnight. 

received_1262000793957885.jpeg

received_885876911743234.jpeg

Edited by Colt W Knight

Gorgeous and unique. Great job!

Thanks for the details Colt.  Where do you get your kipskin?

Gary

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, garypl said:

Thanks for the details Colt.  Where do you get your kipskin?

Gary

This came from Weaver, but I generally get leather from Hide House

I love this, I’m sure your dad will too!  - I have a Blackhawk as well and that revolver is a tank to lug around in a standard western rig. (I’ve settled for a pancake type with a thumbreak, but I really don’t like to carry a single action strongside as I am not proficient with it as a a defensive pistol) I’m very interested in this type of rig for field use or to carry a second pistol comfortably for hunting. 

I’m curious if you could illustrate or expand on how you cut the bandoleer shape?  You say “v” but do you mean a rounded off “v” ?

That will be one of your Dad's favorite items for as long as he lives. 

Great looking and a great job.

Well done Colt!