RockyAussie

Pfaff 335, Adler 69 type Cylinder arm caps.

Hi Tor, long time no see. I myself have only tried working with the ABS a couple of times and did not get great results. I did try the acetone on it and it seemed to work some. Mostly I use this pla+ which claims to be stronger than the abs and a few other alternatives. So far I can't fault it.

I forgot to get back to you about the cap, sorry about that. I ran the machine, no funny sounds or signs of scraping so I guess it fits ok.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:44 PM, RockyAussie said:

WOW that was quick. Looks better than my yellow coloured ones. I am hoping that a few of the other members that have clones of these machines will try them out for fitting. I would like to have a list of the various machines clones etc that it will fit onto to advise everyone. Also if there are any negatives as to where the cap may be improved. For 27 cents of filament electricity included. its not that big a risk really. So far mine have tested in use well and I will do a few more  little changes once I am confident it will fit a wide range of other clones as well. I am thinking of putting this thread into the sewing machine section in order to get some more feedback. Thanks for the feed back.

Brian

I have printed presser feet and needle plates for my Campbell Randall for parts they don't make anymore.  They don't last as long as steel but when they wear out I just print another.

44 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

I have printed presser feet and needle plates for my Campbell Randall for parts they don't make anymore.  They don't last as long as steel but when they wear out I just print another.

I've been thinking about doing a little bit of that to make up some for special jobs like leather covered rope handles with a shaped needle plate and feet etc. I think the feet would need to be bulked up in areas compared to steel but I doubt that would create too big an issue. Zipper guides should be another interesting one to look into.

13 minutes ago, RockyAussie said:

I've been thinking about doing a little bit of that to make up some for special jobs like leather covered rope handles with a shaped needle plate and feet etc. I think the feet would need to be bulked up in areas compared to steel but I doubt that would create too big an issue. Zipper guides should be another interesting one to look into.

I didn't have to bulk anything up but if you have room it wouldn't hurt.  

I'm looking for a narrow arm cylinder machine.  Any thoughts?

13 minutes ago, sbrownn said:

I didn't have to bulk anything up but if you have room it wouldn't hurt.  

I'm looking for a narrow arm cylinder machine.  Any thoughts?

There are a lot of variables and I would need to see the type of thing that you would want to make to give any worthwhile advice. :dunno:

1 hour ago, sbrownn said:

Any pictures? I am curious of the sewing machine model.

file:///C:/Users/jim/Downloads/Singer 45K56, K89.pdf

Hi Brian, Check out page 10, there is a set for sewing bag handles which might give you some ideas or maybe try and adapt it for your CB4500  :thumbsup:

I don't think he really would like us looking through his C Drive?

Bert.

Ouuuuh Jimi, you have some interesting files on your C Drive  ;) **kidding**

I think this is the device / set Jimi refers to.

I wonder where all the nice sewing devices Singer once sold went to - you never find them. Are they all worn out and junked? Or still in use? Or is there a black hole for Singer parts? You even barely find presser feet for 45K´s

Bild13.jpg

:oops: 

Yes that is the one Folker:spoton:

Edited by jimi

Hey thanks for the thought jimi and Folker, I am interested to have a play around on some of this stuff soon. :thumbsup:

Just at present I have a large scale operator wanting me to high tech up their belt making department and that is allowing me to come up with a heap of interesting stuff. Today I worked out I can print spacers for the various width strap cutting as well as the belt combining machine. The pla+ is way quicker than me on the lathe to print and I reckon their going to be better as well. I will check and see if any of these pics I been taking work out or not and get back shortly.

Lousy pics but help to explain better ......a bit

This one is the first on the combining machine. Here I am stripping a belt filler which turned out exactly wrong. I forgot in the drawing to account for the knife thickness. Worked beautifully though:wub:

DSC05524_resize.JPG

DSC05525_resize.JPG

DSC05526_resize.JPG

Haha, great stuff Brian. I got the bite and bought a second hand abandoned kit :blink: yes pain in tha arse to get it going as it was in bits. but it is getting there. what you just made was on my list to see if i could make a bulged type strap but i dont have the machine to go with it so i would be making something up. apart from all the stupid little upgrade parts you end up making here are some bits i managed to get together...

20191211_111821.thumb.jpg.b9080b954afa27409a484dc5e21e10e6.jpg20191211_111835.thumb.jpg.fcd5fa9e0e273fcf9c5ac3d09b6b5f10.jpg

his was really for laughs, but it works...Haha the stitch length changes a little but it can get you out of a squeeze if you need something fast.

20191211_111047.jpg.26d9998f404886495ea9043c00622577.jpg

this was needed as it has no swing down, just changed the length as i dont have the original screw for this plate and someone drilled a couple more on i think??.also this machine came without the small oil box inside so i made that one up also.

20191211_111035.jpg.c25e0f5034b5a469dd0b5aaa122cc7d9.jpg20191211_111314.jpg.7aa8853112536b365e2b30a65a9c47c7.jpg20191211_111025.jpg.e55de89484ef9a6d858db447c69c6df8.jpg

what i am trying to do here is to use up some of these old printers stamps i had lying around for years, the ones that are yellow are resin ones i made to try and they seem to work, just need to router the back side to get them all the same height. this is for wetting the leather and stamping. I am using my hand press for rivets and buttons etc...

Seems like on the mirror works pretty good for you brian? do you heat it up??

Next thing i need to do is a small edge paint tray and wheel to see if that works, although i  am not a big fan of painting edges, i prefer to skive them and fold em. A double guide for the skiver is also on the list, for straps. i tried a skiver foot but was too wobbly so i will have to fill it in more.I will let you know how it goes.

Maaaann you shore jumped into it on the printer stuff. LOVE it.

32 minutes ago, jimi said:

Next thing i need to do is a small edge paint tray and wheel to see if that works, although i  am not a big fan of painting edges

I have been considering making up something but I would like to use some little motors like on the printer to keep the roller turning continious. Some paints dry onto the rollers very quickly and you will quickly get dry lumpy problems if it does not keep the paint moving.

32 minutes ago, jimi said:

Seems like on the mirror works pretty good for you brian? do you heat it up??

Yep. On pla+ I usually run mine at 65 degrees.Aluminium heather plate under the mirror and cork under that to keep the heat more even and stable. I think the mirror is holding up better than the original. Mind you I use a separate cooling fan for when the job is done and make sure that it all but pops off of the plate when I remove the job.

Are you using Cura? If so what version? You did real well printing that foot as you did. I think I would have added more sidewall thickness and printed it the other way up with light supports though. Looks more original like the way you did it. I think you are going to be coming up with some amazing stuff and I hope to see it.:thumbsup:

Is that leather stuck on the bottom of the centre foot? 335?

Hey ...here's something I found last night ...I WANT

simac-698-29557.jpg

simac-698-29557b.jpg

simac-698-29557c.jpg

No cura, Prusaslicer which seems to use simplify3d also, I tried cura but it started to print things in the air and stuff so i changed to simplify then had a look at the prusa one which is similar and worked great for me, both of them.

Thanks for the heads up on the paint tray Brian?? motors eh?

Yes leather on both feet of the 335, see you got a hawk eye..Lol.

well that´s a Biggee?? for bags?? does that sew on cording or something?? that looks like the equivalent to a walking foot patcher?? Well as you do a lot of bags and have big volume jobs i am sure that would work well for you, all you need to do now is make the missus supper and break it gently to her..:rofl: 

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I wonder where all the nice sewing devices Singer once sold went to - you never find them. Are they all worn out and junked? Or still in use? Or is there a black hole for Singer parts? You even barely find presser feet for 45K´s

Maybe they are having a party with all the socks that get lost in the laundry?    

I kind of wonder why there isn't somebody out there making these parts.  The market is probably not big enough to go into castings, etc - but with the advent of small CNC machines, and such, it seems like these parts could be made on a piece by piece basis and still make some amount of profit.   If I had the gear, I'd give it a try!

- Bill

Have I ever mentioned that I hate people who can print out this cool stuff  :thinking:   

You guys are awesome, I don´t think I had the patient for that!  :lol: Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff. Printing old Singer sewing devices could become a business idea - probably.

I agree constabulary. Every time I start trying to learn how to use a design programme I get distracted onto something else.:blink:

10 hours ago, jimi said:

well that´s a Biggee?? for bags?? does that sew on cording or something?? that looks like the equivalent to a walking foot patcher?? Well as you do a lot of bags and have big volume jobs i am sure that would work well for you, all you need to do now is make the missus supper and break it gently to her..

It is a sort of walk up the arm and cylinder arm combination. Best I can tell the arm can swivel 360 which means that you could sew all the way around a bag without the gussets getting in the way. Very lacking in information that can be found on it. I did find another similar machine which has a dog foot feed as well but again Very lacking in information.

8 hours ago, Constabulary said:

Have I ever mentioned that I hate people who can print out this cool stuff  :thinking:   

You guys are awesome, I don´t think I had the patient for that!  :lol: Looking forward to seeing more of this stuff. Printing old Singer sewing devices could become a business idea - probably.

Come on Folker.........Give it a go. The best stuff will always come from the people like you.

It is a sort of walk up the arm and cylinder arm combination. Best I can tell the arm can swivel 360 which means that you could sew all the way around a bag without the gussets getting in the way. Very lacking in information that can be found on it. I did find another similar machine which has a dog foot feed as well but again Very lacking in information.

Ok, maybe thats a cable for a light?? nothing to do with cording Lol, looks interesting, that needle plate puck parts looks to be held still while rotated hence the thick arm which would have a few pinions along the way i suppose??

Did you see the link above Brian?? nice big pictures to get measurements from and it is used on the Adler 205 so almost the same as the one you have??

http://sew24.blogspot.com/2012/09/sew-luxury-leather-bag-handles-with.html?m=1

Come on Folker.........Give it a go. The best stuff will always come from the people like you.

Yeah..comon Folker...go for it :lol:

Edited by jimi

Hi jimi, Yes I have seen that one before and it is the style of thing I was thinking about doing except on the big 441 machine and the pressure of this type of work I will need to build in a lot of support structure where possible to take that kind of load. I may end up trying it on an old 69 Adler first I think once I get a servo motor hooked up to it. I do have a few bags that need these handles to do so........:dunno:

On 3/20/2019 at 12:48 PM, RockyAussie said:

I have been doing a few projects recently that need a very small cylinder machine to enable me to get into the tight corners and such. This is still a bit of a work in progress but so far the results have been good. A few more tweaks and they should be excellent. I have a 335 Pfaff , 69 Adler, Tk 335 Elizabeth and a 331 Pfaff that I have finished of some new cylinder caps for. After doing some measurements and tests the width of the caps have now been reduced from 46.6mm down to 41.4mm. ( a bit under 1/4"). The depth has reduced a couple of mm and the length a couple as well. NOTE: except for the Pfaff 331 which has a little more room for reductions, all of the caps fitted and they are all the smaller bobbin variety.

The first picture shows 3 of the 4 caps just finished as against the ones being replaced.

DSC04651_resize.JPG

This is the TK335  Elizabeth cylinder showing some comparisons.

If any of you have printers and one of these style machines let me know and I will get you a stl file if you want it.

If you have one of these machines and are one of my followers and do not have a printer... PM me if you would like one.

I know the colour is awful and I could have done them in a metalic silver colour but at least they are easy to find now.

Brian

I just bought a Pfaff 335 H2L and it's missing the sylinder cap. I'd love to be able to print one out. I don't have a printer of my own yet but I know a place where I can make it.