Kabob

Singer 153 B8B. Vs Juli Ls 341

OK so I've narrowed it down to Possibly two machines

I can pick up a nice looking Singer 153 B8B for $1250.

This machine has a piece of leather that was sewed on it from the check done by a mechanic.

However they are not open to letting me or anyone sew on ANY of there machines.

"We pay for a mechanic to set em up and don't want to pay that price twice.". Is there reasoning.

Kinda, but not quite a deal breaker for me

Local shop has  access to some Juki Ls 341's that they are saying has been "rebuilt" for $1600 plus tax.

Which is the most capable machine.

I'm open to other suggestions.

I've got a cowboy 4500 and I'm looking for something smaller for wallets and thinner goods.

138 thread top and bottom requirements, 207 capable would be nice but not required.

My thoughts are cylinder bag with a flatbed attachment for the versatility and two for one, (if you will) functionality.

That's very sketchy. The equivalent of "you may not test drive my car before purchasing because the mechanic just changed the oil and spark plugs."

Will the guy at least do a sewing demonstration himself with your thread and material? If he won't let you test drive, is he providing a warranty?

Personally, I'd tell him to kick rocks. 

Looks like you've found a good couple of machines for your requirements but not a good dealer from where to buy your machine. They wouldn't get a penny of my money. How can they guarantee that machine in your workshop if they won't even guarantee it sitting in their showroom?

It looks like the Singer B8B is a re-badged Seiko CW-8, from the time in the 1980s I think when Singer had stopped producing industrials and was simply re-badging Seikos. (The CW-8 is essentially a good quality clone of the 153.) I have a Seiko LCW-8 from a similar time period which is the CW-8 with a huge U-type bobbin. Fantastic machine, great quality. Parts and accessories are readily available.

Edited by Matt S

Sellers response below.

That's for the Singer.

They are an eBay retailer.

We are not retail, machine is in warehouse .

We offer 'scheduled ' pick up Monday through Friday from 10am until 2pm.

If purchased you can check machine at pick up and if you don't want you are not obligated to accept.

Don't offer test drives as I have paid to have machine checked and sewn and not willing to pay for that twice.

Has clutch motor . Uses 135x 17 needles and believe it will handle a 207 thread but the maximum recommended thread size is 138"

The Juki 341 is something that is on its way to the shop.

Bills Sewing Machine in Hildebrand NC.

Reputable shop.

Yes I can test drive the Juki.

I've tried out several machines from them.

I can purchase from Bills with confidence.

However the Singer is about $500 less.

4 minutes ago, Kabob said:

The Juki 341 is something that is on its way to the shop.

Bills Sewing Machine in Hildebrand NC.

Reputable shop.

Yes I can test drive the Juki.

I've tried out several machines from them.

I can purchase from Bills with confidence.

However the Singer is about $500 less.

Over here, those singers go for around $650-700 for the head in nice aesthetic (and presumably functional) condition. You're not missing out on a slick deal if you pass. 

I've been machine shopping for a bit over a month and passed on two of them. 

Also note if you buy it through eBay there's a built in 6 month return policy. Doesn't matter if the seller states "no returns accepted." Just don't pay in cash.

Juki considerations. 

I would need to understand its final sale, with its options and visual condition. It is pretty tough to try out something from any online seller, this includes new. 

This is particularly important and a benefit with various dealers that answer questions on this site, there are several, be mindful of that. 

Anyway these Juki machines are expensive when new, hence possibly why they are being copied!

Its getting to a price level that choices are to be considered, in my opinion. That in no way is devaluing a technicians ability or their time and worth. Rather my options in the market, additionally the machines former owner and usage. 

Good day

Floyd

Juki  341 is a heavier machine than the Singer.  Juki has high lift, bigger bobbin, and will sew #207 thread!  If you need to sew with #207, buy the Juki.

glenn

Be careful with ebay's return policy, it is 30 days. PayPal is 180 days BUT to claim a refund they require you to return the goods first, at your expense. I recently bought a mini metal lathe off ebay, sold and shipped from within Australia. It was not what was advertised but even though it shipped from here the return address given by PayPal was the UK!!!! It took me three months of fighting and it wasn't until I involved the Financial Services Ombudsman that they grudgingly gave me a refund.

The Juki sounds like the better machine, plus you're dealing directly with the seller. Me, I'd be very wary spending that sort of money on ebay.

Paypal is to be avoided like the plague..whether one is a buyer or a seller..I would not touch it with somebody else's 10' bargepole..

No argument from me re-PayPal, but I do find it very useful with ebay purchases. My mistake (because I didn't know any better) was that I lodged a claim with ebay and they suggested I claim through PayPal. Once I initiated that claim ebay said they couldn't help because it was now with PayPal, although one of their supervisors said that in good faith they would refund my shipping costs once I sent them the receipt (would have been about $200). I refused to "return" it to the UK because Australian Consumer Law said it was the seller's responsibility to recover the goods.

Anyhow, if you ever have problems try and stick with ebay's resolution process.

On 3/21/2019 at 8:37 AM, shoepatcher said:

Juki  341 is a heavier machine than the Singer.  Juki has high lift, bigger bobbin, and will sew #207 thread!  If you need to sew with #207, buy the Juki.

glenn

OK thanks for this info shoepatcher.

Looks like the Juki is the1341 model and not the 341.

Little newer, and parts are aplenty.

So several are on there way to Bills Sewing.

Hopefully I can swing the cash and pick it up shortly with out my wife making me reside in the dog house for too long.

I think you've made the right choice.:yes: Regarding your wife, tell her you were going to buy the cheaper one but the forum members convinced you it might be a bit iffy and made you nervous about it. Blame us, we can take it.:lol: