hatrabbit

Where to find extremely thin leather?

Hello all, I'm not a leather worker per sé but need to source a piece of leather that's only about 1mm thick to make a cup for an antique pump I'm rebuilding.  I've been through the local retail stores and have found nothing this thin.  From what I've read it should be veg tanned for durability.  I only need about a 1 1/2" circle, and maybe a few more for practice.  Can someone tell me the technique for uniformly shaving a piece this thin, or somewhere I could buy one?  I am in Orange County, CA.  Thanks.

try this  https://www.springfieldleather.com/Hermann-Oak-2-Pre-Cut-2-3-oz-6-x-12

or give them a call  1-800-668-8518

Edited by JD62

7 hours ago, hatrabbit said:

a piece of leather that's only about 1mm thick

I have some veg tan that is 1.5 mm thick that I can spare. Will that work or is it too thick?

9 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I have some veg tan that is 1.5 mm thick that I can spare. Will that work or is it too thick?

If LatigoAmigo's won't work, I am sure there are plenty of us here that would be able to drop you a piece of that thickness in the mail.

YinTx

Thanks for the offer, but 1.5mm would be too thick.  I tried using something that thick and sanding it thinner but I couldn't get a uniform piece.  Actually 1mm is even pushing it, less than that would be best.

Hatrabitt: check your PM.

I'm in the city of Orange in Orange County, California, and would be glad to provide you with the size of leather you want if I have it.  I have some very thin leathers which you could look at.  You can e-mail me at Winchester_Jack@hotmail.com

skive it as thin  as you can then mash it in a vise between two pieces of wood or metal. What I do for my coleman lantern pumps.