SaintJoy18

Paracord "core" thread use?

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using the individual core strands from paracord/550 cord in their stitching? I have saved several thousand feet of the cording due to using the exteriors on other projects (figured I'd find a use sometime).

I know that it is individually stronger than other materials so I wouldn't be pulling too tight or using it for weighted areas in order to prevent cutting my hides.

I've gone through all 50 pages of sewing posts and couldn't find it mentioned (though I did find the debates about poly/nylon and spectra/dyneema) so I thought I would ask if there were any pro's or con's for leather usage.

Thanks everyone!

Never done it myself but I did a quick google search and did find several sites where they discuss using the core strands as thread in emergencies to either sew someTHING or someONE up!  As in sutures.  Makes sense.

The problem I see is that the inner strands are actually two strands themselves in many instances and when free, they unravel pretty quickly.  Assuming you can wax them and get them threaded onto a needle, maybe you will be OK, but maybe not.

So the easiest thing to do is to try it!  The inner core doesn't stretch, so it has that going for it.  It is supple and probably should last a long time, so no issues there.  The only thing I can see is getting the strands to behave.

Thickness is also an issue.  If the diameter of the core strands is suitable, great, but if not?  And it is only one color.

Interested to see if anybody else has tried it.  It is a good way to conserve material since the only other thing it is good for is filling up trash bins.

I tried some just because I had a bunch left over after a project that just used the outer sheath. To keep the strands under control I melted the ends and mashed them to a point. It worked fine but it was a little fat for what I was using it on and it only comes in white. I think you should give it a try on some scrap and see if you like it.

Most paracord shrinks when it gets wet. It should work as sewing thread, but shrink it first.

I tried it a few times, years ago. Being excessively thick, ugly, difficult to terminate securely and stetchy, I found no reason to continue with the practice.

I believe that Nigel Armitage twists paracord innards together to make cores for rolled handles etc.

I have used it and find it to be an excellent thread

use the Mil-Spec 550 paracord     NOT THE COMMERCIAL GRADE CHI CHI CRAP

below is rifle slings,

The yellow one is a guitar strap that is on Twangbangers guitar

DSCN5230.JPG

DSCN5326.JPG

strands.png