Orrrmygod

Please help, thread is too tight when pass bobbin

Hi Guys, I'm very new to a leather sewing machine and need some help.

Please see the attached movie (and turn the sound on). I think the thread is too tight when passing bobbin. I think it makes my stitch inconsistent as it's too much force during that time.

Can you recommend how to fix this problem, please?

Thanks

Edited by Orrrmygod

Hi Guys,

I've read the previous post and I think this might be the problem, see attached.

Capture.JPG.450023bb262bc7064b9d9ef9e435b2a5.jpg

That is exactly the problem..do not go around that little post..

23 minutes ago, mikesc said:

Thanks Mikesc, but now is a bigger problem, the thing that spins around the bobbin (Sewing hook?) is now not moved anymore.

I rethreaded the machine and did some test but there's some thread stuck at the bottom after that, so I tried to cut and pull them out.

I tried to take the bobbin out to check but can't see anything. I'm not sure if the cog at the bottom is the problem. 

Edited by Orrrmygod

Yes there is probably thread caught around the base of the hook ( where you cannot see it )..you can take the bobbin out, but do not try to take the hook out, because you'll likely damage it or lose some tiny parts..It is always better not to cut off thread when it is caught around the base of the hook, because when you "cut" you probably didn't get all the threads and now you have nothing to "pull" the remaining thread parts by..

You can try "rotating the hook backwards and forwards very very slightly" ( with no needle in the machine ) by hand( not with the motor, switch the motor off and pull out the plug from the wall ) usually ( if the bobbin is removed you will see that there are some openings in the base of the Hook ) with a wooden toothpick or a fine "crotchet hook" ( a sort of needle shaped tool , with a tiny hooked end, for making things with crotchet) you can see if you can tease out any ends of threads so as to get enough of the thread end and be able to pull on it with tweezers..
If you go carefully, you'll not break anything..

Or..you can take the machine to a sewing machine mechanic..or get one to come to you..

Thread caught around the hook base is an easy "fix" , if one has a bit of experience with sewing machines..for a beginner..not so much..

Edited by mikesc

If the hook stopped turning it's because you popped a safety clutch with the thread jam. You will have to use tweezers to pull out whatever thread is inside the hook. Then once cleared, find a button on the bed of the machine, hold it down and rotate the hand wheel until the clutch tang re-engages the hook drive shaft.

If the hook stopped turning it's because you popped a safety clutch with the thread jam.

Nice catch Wiz :) It has been so long since I "popped a safety clutch"..I forgot that reason entirely ..

5 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

If the hook stopped turning it's because you popped a safety clutch with the thread jam. You will have to use tweezers to pull out whatever thread is inside the hook. Then once cleared, find a button on the bed of the machine, hold it down and rotate the hand wheel until the clutch tang re-engages the hook drive shaft.

I took the bobbin out and yesterday and nearly take the hook out but I’m afraid that I cannot put it back again so I didn’t. 

Where is the botton on the bed of machine? Inside the hook plate? Could you explain a bit more detail please? Thanks

10 hours ago, mikesc said:

Is there such a thing as that ' little Post ' being a blame for ..." my machine not sewing correct" ?
Just now, I just went out and checked after seeing this Thread Post . I walked out to shop and looked at an old 211 singer that I have sewed with for 20+ years .
The old 211, The R-side thread tension has that 'post' like in your pic. of that machine . and The L-side has no 'post' on tension mechanism .
So 2 tension spring-discs, with 1 being routed over the post, and 1 not . The R-side thread has always been routed that way ( over the little post ) for all these years of sewing and it sews like a dream  ? 

39 minutes ago, Orrrmygod said:

I took the bobbin out and yesterday and nearly take the hook out but I’m afraid that I cannot put it back again so I didn’t. 

Where is the botton on the bed of machine? Inside the hook plate? Could you explain a bit more detail please? Thanks

Look at the bed of the machine, to the right of the sliding bobbin cover plate. There should be a push button barely sticking out of the flat bed, somewhere in line with the hook shaft. Use a finger to push it down as you crank the hand wheel. Once it  finds the correct position it will click in and drive the (cleared) hook again.

The mechanism is under the bed, but the button is accessed from the top.

4 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Look at the bed of the machine, to the right of the sliding bobbin cover plate. There should be a push button barely sticking out of the flat bed, somewhere in line with the hook shaft. Use a finger to push it down as you crank the hand wheel. Once it  finds the correct position it will click in and drive the (cleared) hook again.

The mechanism is under the bed, but the button is accessed from the top.

Hi Wizcrafts, would you mind to circle the photo attached to where is the button you talking about please?

E53278BF-B9F9-482F-84B5-87BA254057AC.jpeg

I apologize. For some reason I thought you had a flat bed walking foot machine. You will need somebody with a similar machine to help you with this. 

32 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I apologize. For some reason I thought you had a flat bed walking foot machine. You will need somebody with a similar machine to help you with this. 

Hi Wizcrafts, please see the video from the link below 

do you think the plate underneath rotary pin is safety clutch you’re talking about? I might try to take it out and inspect.

18 hours ago, mikesc said:

Yes there is probably thread caught around the base of the hook ( where you cannot see it )..you can take the bobbin out, but do not try to take the hook out, because you'll likely damage it or lose some tiny parts..It is always better not to cut off thread when it is caught around the base of the hook, because when you "cut" you probably didn't get all the threads and now you have nothing to "pull" the remaining thread parts by..

You can try "rotating the hook backwards and forwards very very slightly" ( with no needle in the machine ) by hand( not with the motor, switch the motor off and pull out the plug from the wall ) usually ( if the bobbin is removed you will see that there are some openings in the base of the Hook ) with a wooden toothpick or a fine "crotchet hook" ( a sort of needle shaped tool , with a tiny hooked end, for making things with crotchet) you can see if you can tease out any ends of threads so as to get enough of the thread end and be able to pull on it with tweezers..
If you go carefully, you'll not break anything..

Or..you can take the machine to a sewing machine mechanic..or get one to come to you..

Thread caught around the hook base is an easy "fix" , if one has a bit of experience with sewing machines..for a beginner..not so much..

Hi Mikes, there’s no thread under the bobbin. I think the safety clutch might popped. ( hopefully I didn’t break anything)Do you know how to fix it with cylinder machine. Should I take the rotary pin out? Is it the plate underneath? Thanks

You will not find any manual where the thread is running over the small pin - neither Singer nor Adler or Pfaff - period. You just see this in YouTube Videos and from there on it spreads around the world because very one "has seen this on youtube" and trust what they see. People no longer look into their manuals cause everybody is expecting to find things on youtube nowadays. Plain and simple - RTFM. Running the thread over the pin may work but it is just not necessary. If it works - fine - go ahead and continue this but there is no technical reason for running the thread over this pin. It just makes threading a bit more difficult

The tread hanging (I think) is either a timing problem (hook advanced / thread lever lifting to early for what ever reason) or your machine is not set up for the thread size you are using and the thread keeps hanging between the notch in the throat plate and the small tab on the bobbin basket (space between the parts too narrow so the thread cannot slide through properly).

Furthermore - it seems your bobbin case opener is NOT opening the bobbin case - this could be parts of the problem too. But an 8 second video is probably a bit short for seeing a pattern.

EDIT:

The bobbin case opener function is quite well explained in this Video:

Edited by Constabulary

I'm not familiar with your machine but it is extremely unlikely that there is a clutch underneath the bobbin case. The clutch that Wiz is referring to is quite large and is located in a completely different place on machines that have one. Unless you have some idea about adjusting and timing machines, and have a suitable manual, I would not advise removing that bobbin case assembly.

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

You will not find any manual where the thread is running over the small pin - neither Singer nor Adler or Pfaff - period. You just see this in YouTube Videos and from there on it spreads around the world because very one "has seen this on youtube" and trust what they see. People no longer look into their manuals cause everybody is expecting to find things on youtube nowadays. Plain and simple - RTFM. Running the thread over the pin may work but it is just not necessary. If it works - fine - go ahead and continue this but there is no technical reason for running the thread over this pin. It just makes threading a bit more difficult

The tread hanging (I think) is either a timing problem (hook advanced / thread lever lifting to early for what ever reason) or your machine is not set up for the thread size you are using and the thread keeps hanging between the notch in the throat plate and the small tab on the bobbin basket (space between the parts too narrow so the thread cannot slide through properly).

Furthermore - it seems your bobbin case opener is NOT opening the bobbin case - this could be parts of the problem too. But an 8 second video is probably a bit short for seeing a pattern.

EDIT:

The bobbin case opener function is quite well explained in this Video: asd

Hi Constabulary, I'm very new to sewing machine and have no ideas that thread go over bobbin is wrong way. I would love to adjust the machine to the right setting so that it's not go over bobbin but not sure how to do that. Could you tell me how to do it please?  The thread size i'm using is 138 which should be fine for this machine.

If the safety clutch is similar to the Pfaff 145 this may help.  I was only finding the manuals for the newer Pfaff 335 not the older ones this morning.  safety clutch page.pdf

Hi Guys, I just took the Bobbin out but the middle screw is too tight so I can't pull the pin out. Please see the videos attached.

Top.mp4  >> I used hand to crank - you can see the gear at the bottom moved but not the pin.

Side.mp4 >> I move the pin by hand and I can see the bottom gear move but not engage with the main gear (that need hand crank)

Anyone familiar with this problem please help. Thanks a lot.

Oh Thanks Scoutmom 103, this is might be the way to slove the problem.

I don't understand this exactly "until the tip of the latch is positioned exactly above the groove in the clutch bushing. Now push back the spring loaded pin ..." but I'll give it a try.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 12.05.41 AM.png

Edited by Orrrmygod

Look like mine (PFAFF 345H3-6/01-CLN) doesn’t have safety clutch or might be in different position. It’s quite different from the movie below 

Your machine has no safety clutch!

Hook is no longer spinning - looks like you have loosen some screws on the hook driving gears. I guess hook is out of time now (too).

I did not say thread goes the wrong way. I said it seems to be hanging somewhere between the small tab of the bobbin case and the notch in the throat plate (tab sits in the notch) and your bobbin case opener is NOT opening the bobbin case to let the thread pass between the small tab and the notch in the throat plate.

So my guess was that you only have to adjust the bobbin case opener - thats why I linked the video.

Hard to assist you from the distance if you don´t know anything about sewing machines. I would honestly recommend that you go to a sewing machine technician for industrial sewing machines.

Edited by Constabulary

Hard to assist you from the distance if you don´t know anything about sewing machines. I would honestly recommend that you go to a sewing machine technician for industrial sewing machines.

This^^^

I was thinking about the gears having come loose, but stopped because I thought there might be a clutch. Hopefully, the hook drive shaft is keyed for the ring gear. Timing it will be a fun job for someone new to this kind of machine. 

Just a tip. Orrrmygod,  if you are within driving or shipping distance of a knowledgeable industrial sewing machine dealer, they might could replace the worn screws, tighten everything down and retime the machine to get it sewing again.