whitakermk

Change Vintage Rex Rivet Anvil Question

I have a vintage Rex 27 rivet setter for my shop which has a splash anvil in it. I talked to Weaver and they have a replacement anvil that "should" work for #104 rivets.

The problem is I can't figure out how to change the anvil in my old Rex before purchasing the new one from Weaver - as in remove it from the long "U" shaped pin.

The newer Weaver version shows threading at the top. So I am guessing the long piece unscrews from the smaller piece in the "U" shaped clamp.

Am I wrong on this and just need more WD40 and better needle nose pliers? Or, can the anvil on these old Rex's be changed?

I've attached pics of my old Rex with the anvil on my kitchen counter. You can see the anvil with the U shaped clamp at the top which takes the pressure from the handle when pressed down. 

The picture of the Anvil against a white background is the one from Weaver - note the thread at the top.

Just trying to find out if the new anvil for the new Weaver Rex will fit the old vintage Rex's

8755-001-0079034_m.jpeg

Rex 3 - 20190309_103541_resized.jpg

Rex 1 - 20190309_103603_resized.jpg

I have changed over several of the old Rex riveters to the Weaver splash anvil. Weaver use to sell 2 types of splash anvil. One had the threaded top and the other had a grooved top like yours. They also sold a piece that took the place of your U shaped part. It was a solid steel part with a threaded hole to screw the splash anvil in. It worked good.  Earlier this Winter I was rebuilding a Rex for a friend and I asked them at Weaver about this part. The person I talked had never heard of such a part... I miss Vernon.

What I finally did is carefully put a small screwdriver in the slot of the old U shaped part and opened it up so it would come off the old anvil. Then on the new anvil, right below the threads, there is kind of a groove there I was able to squeeze the U shaped part in there with a pliers. It seems to work.

I also noticed the machine work on the splash anvils I got were not real consistent. Some split the rivets better than others.  Maybe later I can post some pictures of the parts I am talking about.  Good Luck------Bill

Sorry it took me so long to get these pictures on here. Hope they are clear enough so you can see. I forgot to mention that to help hold the u shaped piece below the groove, I ground a 5/16" nut thin enough to fit inside it and screwed it in. The threaded block is a part I got from Weaver I'm guessing about 3-4 years ago. Seems they don't carry them any more...???

101_6878.JPG

101_6877.JPG

101_6876.JPG

Thanks for the pics! Helps a bunch - So... should I be able to unscrew my current anvil and be able to remove it or will I have to try and pry it out like you said you did one of yours? I have a buddy with a machine shop - I wonder if he could make me that old weaver part.... worth asking!

When I switched mine over, I had to make a new bar fornthe anvil to thread into.  Mine is a Best Yet, and i ordered the replacement anvil that was for the Best Yet, but it didn't work in the old bar.  Wasn't a big deal, and I'm not overly handy in a machine shop.

Your original anvil is crimped in. Your machinist should be able to make you one that will screw in to the New anvil. I was just getting by with what I had laying around the shop. And I have a lot of STUFF laying around my shop.

Thanks lazyd, having my buddy looking at it now... or whenever he has a chance.