Sign in to follow this  
Samalan

LEATHER FIREMAN'S HELMET

WHAT KIND OF PAINT IS USED ON THEM ?

One paint that is recommended for them is Matthews 1 shot.  Funny you ask that because looking into repainting leather fire helmets and finding out about 1 shot made made wonder if it was good for general leather use, and I posted a question regarding that right after you did.

1 Shot ( if it is the same "one shot" as used to be used as "synthetic signwriting enamel".. ) I have some in the atelier "outside" which as it is 02.22 here, I'm not going "outside" to check before tomorrow afternoon..

If it is the same..it is heavily pigmented ( used to be "lead based"* ) in oil "varnish" type base ..which means that it will go on via brush or airbrush, the pigment will "sit on the surface" rather than sink in, but will still be scratch and abrasion resistant, that is "resistant", not "proof"..
To cover it ( as in gloss coating it ) avoid any "hot type" varnishes or top coats..cellulose based ones will make it blister and degrade it, , white spirit based ones will be OK, won't make the paint "blister", as will water based "acrylic type" top coats..

BUT..any paints and finishes, top coats, will not be original, and will not be "tested" and so should not be used in real fire-fighting situations, in case they react badly to heat, or catch fire etc.

* really lead based...= bad for you.

I might be confusing it with "bulletin" one shot..or it might be the same thing..my tins are over 30 years old..( I was / am, amongst many other things a "signwriter" old school, with "quill brushes", gold leafing et etc , faux bois, faux marbre etc, trompe l'oeil, airbrush decors etc , custom painter, antique finisher, patines, pinstriper, fine art and sculpture restorer, conservationist, sculptor, artist, associated skills ) ..

Edited by mikesc

Below is from Cairns/MSA

Recommended Paint/Primer and Colors
Sherwin Williams – Kem Lustral Enamel*

Primer

Paint

Gray E61 A 45
White E61 W 12
Red E61 R 26

Gloss Black F65 B 1
Bright Blue F65 L 10
Gloss White F65 W 1
Lemon Yellow F65 Y 44
Vermilion (Red) F65 R 1

17 hours ago, blafleur said:

Below is from Cairns/MSA

Recommended Paint/Primer and Colors
Sherwin Williams – Kem Lustral Enamel*

Primer

Paint

Gray E61 A 45
White E61 W 12
Red E61 R 26                   Thank you for such detailed info it is very much appreciated !

Gloss Black F65 B 1
Bright Blue F65 L 10
Gloss White F65 W 1
Lemon Yellow F65 Y 44
Vermilion (Red) F65 R 1

18 hours ago, mikesc said:

1 Shot ( if it is the same "one shot" as used to be used as "synthetic signwriting enamel".. ) I have some in the atelier "outside" which as it is 02.22 here, I'm not going "outside" to check before tomorrow afternoon..

If it is the same..it is heavily pigmented ( used to be "lead based"* ) in oil "varnish" type base ..which means that it will go on via brush or airbrush, the pigment will "sit on the surface" rather than sink in, but will still be scratch and abrasion resistant, that is "resistant", not "proof"..
To cover it ( as in gloss coating it ) avoid any "hot type" varnishes or top coats..cellulose based ones will make it blister and degrade it, , white spirit based ones will be OK, won't make the paint "blister", as will water based "acrylic type" top coats..

BUT..any paints and finishes, top coats, will not be original, and will not be "tested" and so should not be used in real fire-fighting situations, in case they react badly to heat, or catch fire etc.

* really lead based...= bad for you.

I might be confusing it with "bulletin" one shot..or it might be the same thing..my tins are over 30 years old..( I was / am, amongst many other things a "signwriter" old school, with "quill brushes", gold leafing et etc , faux bois, faux marbre etc, trompe l'oeil, airbrush decors etc , custom painter, antique finisher, patines, pinstriper, fine art and sculpture restorer, conservationist, sculptor, artist, associated skills ) ..

Thank you Gentleman for the information it is much appreciated .