NickPol

Sewing machine for waxed canvas

I know this is a leather forum and thought you may be a good resource for my industrial sewing machine question. We have been using a home machine with ok results but feel it is time to upgrade.  I am wondering if there are any suggestions for what type of industrial machine you would recommend for 10 oz waxed canvas. I would need to sew through 2-6 layers of waxed canvas. Also, any specific thoughts on sergers would be greatly appreciated since we are pushing our current one to the edge.  We make tote bags, dopp kits, etc.. Thank you! 

Without a doubt, you should consider a Consew 206RB-5, or equivalent. Read the specs in the right sidebar.

The only thing I can add is to upgrade whatever machine you decide on by getting it with a servo motor for more accurate speed control. The speed control learning curve of a servo motor will be so much easier, less intimidating and thus provide better results. I am going to assume you are using a serger to do the edges, if so you my want to look into using a folder and/or a binding attachment to accomplish similar results but stronger rather then investing in another machine.

kgg

Hi NickPol,

I have been making waxed canvas bags for quite some time I use a CB4500 with 277 thread. I also have a Consew 225 for the lighter work and mainly binding the inside of some of the bags. I had a Singer 7-34 I called Bob over at Toledo told him I wanted one machine to do leather & canvas work on he set me up with a very good machine. The CB4500 is a great all-round machine in my mind. 

IMG_2650 2.jpg

Thank you all for your input. I'm checking out the Consew 206 RB-5  Wizcrafts suggested. 

Do you happen to know the main difference between the Consew 206RB-5 and 225?

Awesome work BattleAx!  We have a Cobra class 26 that meets most of our veg tan  leather needs. We have it setup for that and would like a lighterweight flat bed option for waxed canvas.  

Smart idea kgg, it may make more sense for us to use a binding attachment. As much as I would like to get two machines my bank account will thank me to get one for both purposes. 

Thanks again.

Edited by NickPol

1 hour ago, NickPol said:

Thank you all for your input. I'm checking out the Consew 206 RB-5  Wizcrafts suggested. 

Do you happen to know the main difference between the Consew 206RB-5 and 225?

Awesome work BattleAx!  We have a Cobra class 26 that meets most of our veg tan  leather needs. We have it setup for that and would like a lighterweight flat bed option for waxed canvas.  

Smart idea kgg, it may make more sense for us to use a binding attachment. As much as I would like to get two machines my bank account will thank me to get one for both purposes. 

Thanks again.

The Consew 225 is an old model it doesn't have reverse. The Consew 225 was a good deal the machine is like new the person never used it.  The Consew 206RB-5 is a very nice machine for canvas and light leather work.