YinTx

New sheath for my new to me old Blanchard Head Knife

So, I picked up a very old Blanchard head knife, cleaned it up, gave it a good sharpening (easily 8 hours of work), and realized it needed a good home.  So I came up with this little number, designed to go in a drawer, or be hung on the wall.    I hope you enjoy.

YinTx

BlanchardHeadKnife4.jpg.2806e1c83138a4bea1b6b8b0a56f3ef7.jpg

BlanchardHeadKnife5.jpg.0fd692ac09cf3d71665356be0bd4dbe3.jpg

BlanchardHeadKnife1.jpg.d19c3952c6d5f242f76d94a2e53edc38.jpg

BlanchardHeadKnife6.jpg.dd2f39f40faf95a8dfc8de08ba3d0314.jpg

BlanchardHeadKnife2.jpg.bc462ae09e29645d05dd57745bb8b01e.jpg

Very nice on both!

50 minutes ago, Rhale said:

Very nice on both!

Thank you!  I've been enjoying the finished head knife for a week or two now, and just tonight finished up the sheath.

YinTx

Elven magic. 

Really like the contrast between the top and the bottom. Awesome work

I really like what you came up with.  It's beautiful.

13 hours ago, Rolandranch said:

Best head knife sheath I've seen yet! 

A stretch, but thanks!

12 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

Elven magic. 

And a bit of old French design influence.  :)

9 hours ago, noobleather said:

Really like the contrast between the top and the bottom. Awesome work

Thanks!  I was uncertain about it at first, but the idea grew on me and I went with it.

7 hours ago, Scoutmom103 said:

I really like what you came up with.  It's beautiful.

Appreciate it!

Thank you all for the encouraging comments.

YinTx

@YinTx nice set of pants for that old knife! You know I gotta say it let's see the back side!

Nah, that old thing...need to send it to me so I can throw it out for ya! ;)

Your tooling has come a long way @YinTx. I hope when I can give my time to it I pick it up as well and as fast as you.

Geez...now I'm almost embarassed that I did such a "utilitarian" job on the sheath for my head knife.
Nice design,  and beautiful execution.

13 hours ago, Sanch said:

@YinTx nice set of pants for that old knife! You know I gotta say it let's see the back side!

Thanks Sanch!  and since it is made to go on the wall, the back is just simply the flesh side of a piece of leather, not much worth seeing...

8 hours ago, JazzBass said:

Geez...now I'm almost embarassed that I did such a "utilitarian" job on the sheath for my head knife.
Nice design,  and beautiful execution.

Appreciate that!  and I don't recall seeing yours.. I did see your "epiphany" thread on head knives, quite true that thread.

YinTx

3 hours ago, YinTx said:

Appreciate that!  and I don't recall seeing yours..

Ok, I'll suffer the embarassment... a pic was in this post:

Oh yeah, I should have remembered that one, quite the conversation on the little sticker!  Seems pretty functional for sure.   Did you do anything to keep the button stud from coming into contact with the blade?  I was also kinda curious how you managed the retention on the near side, as I don't really see what holds the blade in...

YinTx

I used an abrasive stone in my Dremel/drill press to countersink the back side of the Sam Browne button. There is no contact.

The sheath is asymetrical...on the left side, the welt has an "extension" that holds that tip... the knife does not go straight into the sheath, you holster it by putting the left corner in, then rotating the right side up and in. It seemed about the simplest way to do it and keep it secure.

image.png.5f528c57e427c897cf8d68b6bb8e5773.png

image.png.644f2ab15f858a84e865b8d43c87d68d.png

That is the best design of a head knife sheath I've see and really well executed. I'd like to leave constructive feedback, but sorry, this is just another "awesome job!" post. You hit a nice balance of tooling with the longer stems and leaves so the sheath's squat nature  doesn't stand out.

@JazzBass, nice solution, well executed.  Thanks for sharing!

@GeneH, thank you for that.  I did several iterations before I was happy with the design.

YinTx

8 hours ago, YinTx said:

@JazzBass, nice solution, well executed.  Thanks for sharing!

Well, sometimes slick, quick and practical just works.

Your sheath, however, should have a mounting hole near the top (handle side)...it's such a work of art that it's not something to throw in the tool bag or a drawer, as with mine - yours deserves a prominent place on the wall! :)

17 minutes ago, JazzBass said:

Your sheath, however, should have a mounting hole near the top (handle side)

The plan is to have a screw behind the top of the handle, and one more on each side just above the blade.  For now, it is hiding in the drawer with the other tooled sheath I made for the W. Rose round knife.  :)

One more to make for the Clyde round knife... (I think I just heard someone say something about a tool problem...I'm not sure I know what they mean...)

YinTx

9 minutes ago, YinTx said:

someone say something about a tool problem

See! We said so, we did!:P

42 minutes ago, hwinbermuda said:

See! We said so, we did!:P

Wait until you see the collection of 8 draw gauges I acquired!  J. English, latta gauges, old Osborne's from Newark, brass and rosewood... etc.  I'll be picking one and selling the others, sadly for me, happy for others that get them!

YinTx

On 3/26/2019 at 6:56 PM, YinTx said:

Hey - just curious where you got the checkered background tool and if you had to modify the edges to blend better?

@MrLentz, I have several different backgrounders, if I recall correctly I used the ones in the photo.  I did not modify the edges, if you try to blend you can get a bit of hamburger as seen in the center of the stampings.  Just have to try to align them as best as you can and go from there.  Hope that helps you!

YinTx

Background2.thumb.jpg.a0a0bddfb30c9de504783b2c465d4f21.jpg

3 minutes ago, YinTx said:

@MrLentz, I have several different backgrounders, if I recall correctly I used the ones in the photo.  I did not modify the edges, if you try to blend you can get a bit of hamburger as seen in the center of the stampings.  Just have to try to align them as best as you can and go from there.  Hope that helps you!

YinTx

Ah - nice, ok so it is more about the placement.  Thanks for the tip!