dikman

Laser engraved maker's mark.

I've been trying to convince myself to learn 3D modelling so I could make a maker's mark stamp, but without success (every time I try it all gets too hard!). So, having recently bought one of those dinky little laser engravers I thought "I wonder....". A bit of doodling later with photoshop and I got something that sort of works. Not sure how practical it is yet. The round one gives better detail on the cactus but smaller printing, the oval one is probably a better design, with larger lettering, but then I loose detail on the cactus.:rolleyes2:

A work-in-progress, as they say. Oh, and burning into garment leather (chrome tan, I guess) stinks!!!!!!!

maker mark a.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, dikman said:

burning into garment leather (chrome tan, I guess) stinks

I could be wrong, but I believe burning chrome tan leather releases cyanide gas.

6 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

I could be wrong, but I believe burning chrome tan leather releases cyanide gas.

That concern points out the importance of proper ventilation. 

1 hour ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That concern points out the importance of proper ventilation

And relevent masks, if you must laser such materials.

I'd avoid them and pvc too.

H

Word for the WIZE - as some have already mentioned, & as a seasoned 3d Printer user & Lasers too....

MOST of the gasses released by the act of Lazing & 3d Prnting include Formaldehyde, Arsonide, Cyanide + gasses of 100% saturated Sulphuric Acid vapour from Lazing PVC plastics.

The Sulphuric vapour from Lazing PVC will take out your eyes & vision in seconds - permanently !

Equally toxic & poisonous is to laser MDF wood, which gives off ALL of the above AND some carcinogenic toxins too, for good measure.

Ventilation extraction is a MUST.

Stay safe - Stay above ground.

Thanks folks. The chrome-tanned that I referred to was a very small piece and I just wanted to see what the engraving looked like on something black. The process was carried out right next to an open door, and I've already made a separate fan to blow towards the door. I'll be mostly working with veg-tan anyway (and definitely no more engraving of chrome-tanned).

Grant, thank you for the concise explanation of what is released from those products, that sort of info is usually buried away under too much writing! I'm sure there are others here who will appreciate it too.

Besides, I can't afford to lose any more brain cells as I think I lost too many during my younger drinking days!!

Thanks for this!  Was looking at some of these and didn't even consider exactly what would be in the fumes - and I'm a former welder.

I engrave leather and cut it too but for a makers mark, I would suggest getting some cast acrylic. Engrave your design into it and it will stamp wet leather nicely. Do it all the time and I use a 1/2 ton arbor press for the stamping process. Harbor Freight cheapie works fine.  You can make up any  stamps you like. Just keep engraving it till the design is 3/16 or so and you will be good. Once you get your settings down it can be done in one pass. I find it best if the acrylic is 1/2" thick for strength but you can glue 2 - 1/4"  together to get the thickness and 1/4 is much easier to cut. I have a 50 watt co2.

Probably won't work so good on thin chrome tan but works wonders on veg. Brain cells? I knew I had some around here somewhere.... let me check

Edited by jrjr2u

On 3/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, dikman said:

I've been trying to convince myself to learn 3D modelling so I could make a maker's mark stamp, but without success (every time I try it all gets too hard!). So, having recently bought one of those dinky little laser engravers I thought "I wonder....". A bit of doodling later with photoshop and I got something that sort of works. Not sure how practical it is yet. The round one gives better detail on the cactus but smaller printing, the oval one is probably a better design, with larger lettering, but then I loose detail on the cactus.:rolleyes2:

A work-in-progress, as they say. Oh, and burning into garment leather (chrome tan, I guess) stinks!!!!!!!

maker mark a.jpg

? Where is South Oz

Please do not laser chrome leather as I understand it gives off cyanide gas which is not very good for long life, veg tan is fine

if you have proper ventilation its not a problem to cut or engrave Chrome Tanned leather. Its one of my favorites to work with. It does cut hard tho full power needed to cut

Well that's what I thought but this logo would indicate your in Arizona, since the picture of this cactus is a Saguaro and they only grow in Arizona and the sonoran desert:)

Edited by Bert03241

Confusing, isn't it?:lol: I shoot single action and my persona is Cactus Jack Slade, hence the cactus when I was tossing around ideas for a maker's mark. IF I ever make things for sale it should confuse people slightly.

Particularly if I put "Made in Australia" underneath.:whistle:

Edited by dikman

Just a bit LOL. I didn't know you SA in OZ, is that like Our Cowboy Action Shooting. I did that when I was younger. Lots of fun.