Bishop

Looking for Cowboy Outlaw reviews

I have been researching machines for a few weeks and the CB outlaw has caught my eye. I love the fact that its manual, I can take it to shows or events where power could be an issue. The construction is definitely appealing as well the cast iron ought be sturdy enough even I can mess it up too bad ;) . Lastly the claim that it can peirce so thick a stack of leather is great. All that said I haven't seen many reviews by users and I have a few questions.

1. How reliable is it? Does it need to be messed with a lot and if so what is the main issue you have?

2. Does it live up to the claims made by the company?

3. Is it a machine I could learn on without going mad or is there another machine you might recommend that is comparable? I'm open to buying an old/ refurbished machine if people can vouch for a certain model.

Thanks for your assistance I appreciate any guidance y'all can give.

The machine is pretty new. It just came to market and I don't know of anyone who has one yet. 

I'm sure it is great and the cowboy service is second to none.

Maybe someone here has gotten one and will chime in.

I'm confused about the machine's price point. It seems one could buy a powered machine for not much more, and just rig a handle to the flywheel for mobile usage. Best of both worlds. 

1 hour ago, tofu said:

I'm confused about the machine's price point. It seems one could buy a powered machine for not much more, and just rig a handle to the flywheel for mobile usage. Best of both worlds. 

There isn't going to be much saving in material or labour cost in a dedicated manual machine over a powered head. At the same time the Outlaw is a machine that appeals to a limited section of a limited market so the development costs have to be absorbed among a smaller number of units to be sold than, say a 441 type machine. Prices being comparable doesn't surprise me -- the 441 and 205 type machines are designs that were cloned from designs developed by Juki and Adler 30 years ago -- Cowboy had far lower development costs to bring these to market than they did the Outlaw.

Buying a 441 or 205 type head and fit a handle, like you suggest, would certainly give you a machine with some "expansion room" over say a one-arm-bandit like the Outlaw (you have the option to fit a motor later). Some dealers in fact do that. However if you've not worked with industrial machines like these before you might be surprised at the weight. Juki 441 (= Cowboy 4500) is 123lb/56Kg. Not very portable.

Thanks for the clarification. I had no idea they were that heavy. I assumed they were in 335 weight class, which while it wasn't light, was still manageable. 

And, the outlaw is priced somewhat (1395.00) lower than the 3200 (1895.00). Close, but the 3200 tops out at 1/2" lift and 346 thread.

The outlaw carries the same capacity as the 3500 with a 7/8" lift and 415 thread at 2395.00.

All three machines have the 9" throat. 

So, the outlaw is a whole thousand dollars cheaper than the comparable powered machine.

But, the I don't think the outlaw comes with a table, though I bet shipping is a good deal cheaper.

Just making note for information's sake.

did someone already buy this machine and has some Reviews. Love the product Videos on YouTube but i would like to have a Independent review.

The one arm bandits are good machines for what they were designed for and appeal /needed by a limited group of users. I think it is going to depend on what you are planning on doing with the machine.

1. How thick a leather you are going to be using it to sew, wallet /upholstery weight or holster weight or a combination? In my option a machine that does a good job with wallet /upholstery weight material will not work on holster weight and a machine that does good work on thick holster weight material would probably chew the hell out of wallet /upholstery weight material without having to make changes to adjustments which in itself could be frustrating.

2. Doing most all your at home / work with electricity readily available or on the road / shows where it is either none existent or stretchy or off grid? If most of your work is done where electricity is available then go with a regular machine capable of doing your stuff as your productivity would be greater and look for a used one for the occasional use on the road or vis versa. For me pulling that lever every time would be just too frustrating a task particularly knowing that I am never going hit the jackpot.

kgg

While on this topic I do have a question. What ever happened to the Windham Cub?

kgg

3 hours ago, kgg said:

While on this topic I do have a question. What ever happened to the Windham Cub?

kgg

According to a post on the Windham Cub facebook page dated December 22, 2018 the rights to produce it have been sold to Weaver Leather.

yeah im gonna stitch 2.5 up to 10 mm vegtan. for thinner material i have another machine. If it does not stitch 2.5mm proper it's the wrong machine for me, and I'd like to know that before buying. I was Looking into this because it does not Need much space. Space is very limited and i just cant make room for another big sewing machine table. It mayy not be the most efficient way, but more efficient than handstitching.

Edited by Jazznow

Well, it looks like @CowboyBob or somebody is going to maybe have to pony up a machine for a review? Or contact a customer who has purchased one and ask them to do a review.

I have seen this question asked several times already. On this site as well as a few Facebook forums I'm a member of.

I'm certainly not the person to give a review of it, but I'm sure there is someone out there worthy of doing an independent review.

I see people ready to spend money, but they are having a time commiting to this new platform. In this digital world we are living in, people just aren't spending big dollars without researching first.

With no independent reviews, they will spend elsewhere. This may be a consideration for future r&d budgets?

Just some food for thought...

33 minutes ago, Jazznow said:

yeah im gonna stitch 2.5 up to 10 mm vegtan. for thinner material i have another machine. I was Looking into this because it does not Need much space. Space is very limited and i just cant make room for another big sewing machine table. It mayy not be the most efficient way, but more efficient than handstitching.

I have had a manual machine similar to the Outlaw in the past, and if you're doing it for anything more than an occasional hobby piece every now and then it gets old real fast. Heck currently I have a treadle-powered BUSM6, which can comfortably do over a hundred stitches per minute and a batch of belts gets tedious very fast. If you're going to do more than a handful of items every now and then, or if you're charging for your time, my advice would be to find or make the space for a motorised machine. You can get a short-arm Juki 441 clone equiv to the CB3200 from Sieck for €1700+VAT http://www.sieck.de/en/machines/sewing/arm-type-machines/?produkt=5562  (probably worth upgrading to a servo motor and having it put on a pedestal stand though).

Edited by Matt S

thanks for the replies so far. I wont use it often enough to justify spending more Money on an Electric machine and making my Tiny Workspace even more cramped. 
Its a not a Question if i Need this one or an Electric. IF i get a machine, ill get this Tiny Thing thatll just be bolted on a Corner of my workbench. but i only get it, if someone can assure me, that it will sew 2.5mm vegtan too. if it doesnt ill just stick to handstitching or avoid stitching by using my stitchless bag designs. 

Just call cowboy Bob or Alexander at solar leather. They will give you an honest answer to your question. I have never heard of them steering anyone the wrong way.

Edited by bikermutt07

Hi I’m over here in the uk I have a cowboy 3200 that I converted to hand operation as I’m tight on space in my workshop. All I done was turned the flywheel round and fitted a Handel . I’ve had no problems with it and it will stitch through 12mm veg tan by hand operation no problem . The only thing you might find when stitching heavy veg tan is anything over around 6mm thick the first couple of stitches might need a good forcefully turn but once going at a steady rhythm there’s no problems and you soon get used to it . The machine itself is quite heavy to move around but if you plan to fit it to your bench there’s no problem . In all a top machine . And back stitches spot on . Ps I also have a hand operated conversion on a singer 45k that works ok but the cowboy 3200 knocks spots off it in performance . Hope this helps Paul . 

Edited by Mudguts

Hi again just a quick update and my personal opinion for anyone thinking of getting a cowboy 3200 and converting to hand operation . they are quite simple and straightforward to set up and use . I’ve had no problems using my 3200 and it has never missed a stitch . Is happy using a quite heavy thread if required. And there is also a good parts and extra fittings back up on them . Hope this helps anyone thinking of getting one of the cowboy 3200

How about some photo's

Hi I will try to get some photos of my cowboy 3200 on here for you but I’m new to messaging on this site and haven’t be able to work out how to do it yet as it keeps saying it’s to many MB’s when I try to send pictures. but when I do find out how to do it I’ll put some on . Ok Paul 

Hi again I think I have worked out how to send photos now so I will take some photos of my cowboy 3200 and put them on for you later .ok Paul  ps the photos I have tested it with is a few cartridge bags and motorcycle saddle I made and stitched up on my hand powered cowboy 3200 machine . 

68AFEBB6-BB77-4FAC-A12B-89DEF9763566.jpeg

DA974944-B57C-454F-A3BB-F045583B8EEA.jpeg

Edited by Mudguts

That is beautiful work and excellent stitching! I love that bike seat!

Looks like no real people have one of these machines either. Kinda like a 8020 splitter.

10 hours ago, blue62 said:

Looks like no real people have one of these machines either. Kinda like a 8020 splitter.

It's too new right now. I think they released in March 2019. 

And, it's completely possible that anyone who bought one does not frequent this site or make YouTube videos.

32 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

It's too new right now. I think they released in March 2019. 

And, it's completely possible that anyone who bought one does not frequent this site or make YouTube videos.

3F82D0D5-D3AE-4905-87D7-5D6393659969.thumb.jpeg.d068f056a01a7e8ad39dcb657e4c48de.jpegHi I will try to get some photos of my cowboy 3200 on here for you but I’m new to messaging on this site and haven’t be able to work out how to do it yet as it keeps saying it’s to many MB’s when I try to send pictures. but when I do find out how to do it 

I’ll put some on . Ok Paul 

Sorry still not sure what I’m doing sending photos of my cowboy 3200 which cost me nearly £2000 and my singer 45k . The cowboy is sold over here in the uk by the HM Hightex company in Colchester Essex