fallequinox

Just pulled the trigger on a Cowboy CB4500!!!

I am extremely excited about this and I want to tell the world about it. But they would just look at me with a blank look.

No one else would know what I am talking about if I told them other than the people here. So here I am! I just got a monster sewing machine and I feel like I just got a new sports car. 

For those of you out there who have one of these, what's the learning curve like? Any tips/tricks you wish to pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations, no tips or tricks I have found yet.  I just enjoy the heck out of mine.

I have one important tip for you: HOLD BACK THE STARTING THREADS!

That's all.

Congratulations! I’m jealous. Pics?

I really enjoy using my Cowboy 4500. I make a lot of GPS Tracking collars, and the 4500 has been a life saver in labor. I use the wax pot(silicone) and it glides through biothane and thick leather effortlessly. 

That's awesome!  Congratulations!  I settled on the CB3200 and love mine!

I love sewing on my 4500 - I switch from 138 through 277 threads and rarely have to play with tensions - it just chugs along with thin and thick leather!  Like Wiz says, hold the threads when you start - it really tries to pull the top thread back.  Keep it well oiled and you will have many years of good service.  I always sew a test piece prior to starting my project to adjust stitch length for the thickness of the project.

Gary

You learned to speak english, and you learned to type. You'll figure this out - it's easier than either of those things.