Dunluce

Anyone got any idea what this is?

A work colleague bought a bunch of old tools and there were some leather work ones in the box. One mystery is the tool below; we don’t even know if it is for leatherwork but I thought I would give it a go here. The two pictures are self explanatory as to how it works. Looks to me like you insert it and then use the lever to expand the hole?

EAADC9AD-B627-47A0-8E99-E75AC97DD7BB.jpeg

4A977E0E-20D0-4C4E-BEE8-852168453CD3.jpeg

Well, darn it! I was going to say shrimp de-veiner. But I guess those are curved. 

Way to go, Harry!

19 minutes ago, alpha2 said:

Well, darn it! I was going to say shrimp de-veiner. But I guess those are curved. 

Way to go, Harry!

I just wish I could remember important stuff too....

:dunno:

As hwinbermuda said, it's for making rag rugs; my Mum & Grandma had one, and I used to help them

You clamp strips of old clothes & similar spare fabric in the tool, then push them into a hessian backing. Release the clamp, and the fabric stays in the hessian. Gradually you build up the thickness of the rug, incorporating patterns or textures as you wish

Rag rugs were common when houses had tiled or stone floors, and people didn't have much money, as carpets were expensive. Now that mass produced carpets are cheaper you don't see rag rugs much; mostly for interest or novelty

Search t'Net & YouTube for 'rag rugs'

Edited by zuludog