beltbuckles

contact cement problems /worries

1-so i got contact cement (i think)  the weldwood red container. the smell is very strong. anyway, when i tried it, it didn't hold as well as i hoped.  -possible problems: didn't wait for it to dry all the way before sticking, not enough used, maybe i didn't scratch surface.     anyway i used elmers wood glue and had better results  ... any other reason for what the problem could be?  - it glue really didn't work well at all. (probably user error)

2-would i be better off using a different type of glue... (for leather to leather gluing)  also will it mess up a machine if i stitch something glued?

3-also i know there is a big warning about the smell being bad for you... is it bad to touch the glue (contact with skin)?  do you guys / girls wear gloves when using the glue? or a repirator mask?

-thanks in advance for replies

I use the red Weldwood and find it to be very strong.  Always sand or scuff the surfaces, especially on the grain side.  You must let it dry to the point you can touch it and it does not feel tacky.  Use a smooth hammer or roller to go over the glued areas to really set the two pieces together.  I always sew the pieces after gluing - I would not trust just glue to hold things together over a long period of time.

Not good to breath fumes for a long time, but most of my projects are smaller, so I am not breathing fumes for more than a couple of minutes - place a box fan nearby if the fumes bother you.  Stuff is flammable in high concentrations, so I’m told.

It is nasty to get off if it gets on your fingers.  But some 5mm gloves at Harbor Freight - they cost @$6-7 for 100 gloves and they will keep your fingers clean.

Gary

It can also depend on what leather you are trying to stick together. Some leather is loaded with wax or oils and gluing it can be a HUGE PITA! I usually try to clamp joins if I am using PVA, or hammer it down/use a roller or press the join together in some way.

As @garypl says, most of my jobs are small, so fumes are not an issue, but breathing fumes is not good for you, so be aware of what you are doing.

If there is something you trying to accomplish, that is not working for you, pics will almost always be helpful for people offering assistance.

5 hours ago, beltbuckles said:

1-so i got contact cement (i think)  the weldwood red container. the smell is very strong. anyway, when i tried it, it didn't hold as well as i hoped.  -possible problems: didn't wait for it to dry all the way before sticking, not enough used, maybe i didn't scratch surface.     anyway i used elmers wood glue and had better results  ... any other reason for what the problem could be?  - it glue really didn't work well at all. (probably user error)

Try the Weldwood again.  Make sure to roughen up the two surfaces, apply an even coat, not too much, and wait for it to skin over and lose its tackiness.  Then put them together, hammer or roll them firmly and you should have to use pretty great force to pull them apart.  To the point you stretch the leather.

2-would i be better off using a different type of glue... (for leather to leather gluing)  also will it mess up a machine if i stitch something glued?

Choices aren't limited to type of glue.  Depending upon what you are gluing, double-sided tape is an option.  If you are only wanting to keep two pieces together long enough to get them stitched, any of the options would work but glue takes longer to dry.  Double-sided tape bonds immediately.  Stick the pieces together and go.  Still works best on roughed up leather.  Weldwood red is great stuff and I have to think you didn't follow the guidelines garypl stated.  Wait for the glue to skin over before bonding the pieces.  Yes you can sew after gluing.  We all do it.  Can contact cement sometimes "gum" up the works?  Possibly, but I haven't had an issue hand sewing.

3-also i know there is a big warning about the smell being bad for you... is it bad to touch the glue (contact with skin)?  do you guys / girls wear gloves when using the glue? or a repirator mask?

Some folks are more sensitive than others.  I am not bothered by the odor or the effects thereof, but I use it in a well ventilated area.  My kitchen table has a ceiling fan over it and I tend to do a lot of gluing there.  In a shop, a box fan as recommended by Brian is the way to go.  Skin contact is to be discouraged but in small amounts, likely not a big deal.  Chemicals are freely absorbed into skin so try to minimize the exposure.

-thanks in advance for replies

We don't get Weldwood over here but I've used plenty of contact cement of various types. There's definitely an optimal use window which varies on your exact cement -- some will stick just fine when still damp, some won't; some will stick when dry and some won't. A little experimentation often pays off. If you let it dry too far most can be reactivated with a heat gun.

Something that usually helps, especially with very absorbent leathers, is to apply two layers. Let the first coat dry to the touch before reapplication then treat the second coat as according to the instructions on the tin.

If your leather is very greasy, oily or waxy scrape any excess off the back before gluing. Glazed/mossed/sealed backs should be roughened with sandpaper or a surform. Or, better yet, split a tiny bit off the back if you have that ability.

Some if not most contact adhesives also have a operating temperature and don't like the cold