Mocivnik

pro dye vs leather dye - once and for all!

I know there has been much talk about this topic, but nowhere I could find info about renaming actual dyes.

Long story short: fiebing's OIL DYE doesn't exist anymore, it "transformed" into pro dye, right?

Both, pro dye and leather dye are alcohol carrier dyes, while LEATHER DYE is alcohol based dye including powdered coloring.

EX oil dye is now called PRO DYE and is still including some alcohol while it's made on oil base.

Is there anything wrong with what I've written or did I understood it right?

And since OIL DYE was renamed into PRO DYE, did the consistency of the dye changed?

What you have is pretty much it.

Pro Oil dye and Pro Dye are the exact same formula. I'm not a 100% sure but I believe the pigment is oil based. 

A few years ago I emailed fiebings about all the confusion and they replied that they were dropping the oil name to reduce confusion, but the formula was exactly the same in the Pro Dye.

I didn't ask about the actual pigment.

Leather dye is somewhat different although I don't know why or how.

I have always noticed a metallic sheen left behind by the regular dye, but it buffs out easy enough.

I haven't ever noticed a difference in penetration or evenness when comparing it to the Pro Dye.

But, I am just a hobbyist and have no long term data to share about how it wears over time compared to the Pro Dye.

2 hours ago, Mocivnik said:

I know there has been much talk about this topic, but nowhere I could find info about renaming actual dyes.

Long story short: fiebing's OIL DYE doesn't exist anymore, it "transformed" into pro dye, right?

Both, pro dye and leather dye are alcohol carrier dyes, while LEATHER DYE is alcohol based dye including powdered coloring.

EX oil dye is now called PRO DYE and is still including some alcohol while it's made on oil base.

And since OIL DYE was renamed into PRO DYE, did the consistency of the dye changed?

You are correct and the dye did not change just the name. One big advantage of the Pro dye is that it doesn't dry out the leather and stiffen it like the other dye does.

The Weaver website has a good video w Chuck Dorset explaining the difference between the two Feibings dyes and their use. He recommends the Pro dyes, which I've found best. --John

The thing is, I've seen that video and still was confused as I can find many sellers sell "oil dye" on amazon and ebay, but I always got pro dye. But it's okay now, now I know what I got.

PS: I've been using it all the time (pro dye) and it's quite good one. Best penetrating so far (although I had some difficulties for not penetrating enough - after DUNKING and it still is quite pale, using walnut or brown dye). Will consider more experimenting (but it's expensive AF!!!).

On 3/29/2019 at 7:18 AM, Mocivnik said:

Almost a year late to the party lol. Fiebings leather dye is powered dye in alcohol and the pro dye is oil dye in alcohol. Fiebings leather STAIN is oil dye in oil, no alcohol at all. Leather stain is a true oil dye, Pro dye is not. Pro dye is used as a better alternative to leather dye, however if you mix leather dye into prime neatsfoot oil then it will dye your leather while conditioning it simultaneously and it even dyes more easily and is better and more cost effective then pro dye. The ratio of dye to oil depends on how potent and saturated you want it to be. I mix 3 dyes together in a specific ratio to get my own personal color and then I match it with prime neatsfoot oil for example if my 3 dyes together total 5 ounces I’ll add 5 ounces of neatsfoot. This helps me reduce the strength of the color so I can control more easily how much and how many shades I want on the leather while conditioning it. Also for more even consistent coverage I bought a Preval sprayer. Basically its a spray paint can thingy that attaches to a bottle my dye goes in then sprays. Can cover much more than airbrushes 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:15 AM, Zozo said:

Fiebings leather STAIN is oil dye in oil

So if I mix the leather stain with alcohol, it would in essence become Pro dye?  I have some leather stain, and I didn't have much luck with it, probably because I didn't understand what it was to use it correctly.

YinTx

1 hour ago, YinTx said:

So if I mix the leather stain with alcohol, it would in essence become Pro dye?  I have some leather stain, and I didn't have much luck with it, probably because I didn't understand what it was to use it correctly.

YinTx

Hmm I don’t think so. The dye that’s in both pro dye and leather stain is an oil dye. This oil dye is not the same as the oil base in leather stain so I do not think leather stain and pro dye would mix properly. I’ve never tried that. However you can search for fiebings official YouTube channel and they show you all the products they sell and different ways of using them :) 

9 hours ago, Zozo said:

fiebings official YouTube channel

Wow, so I did that, and yes, you can dilute the leather stain with their dye reducer, which is in essence denatured alcohol.  Also, they said it is linseed oil based, so it seems we should be careful with the rags/dye applicators afterwards.  Never thought of putting linseed oil on leather!

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Wow, so I did that, and yes, you can dilute the leather stain with their dye reducer, which is in essence denatured alcohol.  Also, they said it is linseed oil based, so it seems we should be careful with the rags/dye applicators afterwards.  Never thought of putting linseed oil on leather!

YinTx

That surprises me. I was reading a while ago that linseed oil oxidation has a detrimental effect on leather. Can't recall exactly where I saw that but I'll try to track it down.

Regards,

Arturo