Kolton45

Book recommendations for artistically challenged

So I'm trying to learn how to carve basic floral patterns and would eventually like to learn Sheridan style but I'm not artistic in the slightest and pretty inexperienced with a swivel knife other than straight border cuts so I was wandering what the best book to start with would be that would include patterns to follow and the how why and where you use each tool thanks in advance for any help 

I have no specific book in mind to assist with learning how to carve, but I would suggest practice practice and more practice.

I have seen somewhere (and somebody gave me a paper copy), a practice sheet. It had a series of sweeping "S" cuts of different length and width, a series of "C" shapes of all different size and shape, ovals, circles, 'Nike swooshes' and more. I seem to remember the sheet said to do 15 or 20 of the same shape but gradually getting wider or longer, then switch to the other hand, so "S" shapes 1st, then reverse "S" shapes. The do some "C" shapes, and the reverse and just keep practicing so you build muscle-memory.

If you Google swivel knife practice, you will see dozens of ideas.

The best book I know is "Sheridan Style Carving" by Bill Gardner and Clinton Faye.  It is the Holy Grail as far as I am concerned.

Terry

Edited by terrymac
Spellinv

I'm a big fan of "Sheridan Style Carving" too, but "How To Carve Leather" and "Craftool Tech Tips" by Al Stohlman are great books too, especially if you are just starting out with floral carving.