Matt S

Core-spun polyester glace thread

Core-spun Polyester glace thread -- what is it? Best I can figure it has a polyester core with cotton wrapped round and glazed. I'm having trouble finding nylon in TKT8/V346 size and what few UK suppliers sell heavy threads like this only carry these sizes in core-spun. They say it's fine for upholstery and general leatherwork but I've heard claims like that before. Ideally I'd get monofilament spun poly but the place I previously got it is rather expensive. Should I just bite the bullet and buy Ritza machine thread?

Core spun threads are typically a core of synthetic material like polyester wrapped in a sheath of natural fibres, like cotton. The idea is that this gives the strength of synthetic whilst retaining the desirable features of natural, such as appearance, 'feel' or handling, or other properties. When nylon tents were first introduced they leaked at the seams as the synthetic thread did not swell like cotton thread, and the water ran through the stitching holes. Wrapping it in cotton largely solved the problem, but this is less common now that seam sealing tape is used

Most manufacturers & suppliers will have a technical sales department, and are usually pleasant and helpful. Why not Search t'Net for them, such a SOMAC; explain what you want and ask their advice. You never know, they might just send you a free sample

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Matt

http://www.rjbinnie.co.uk/products/sewing-threads/bonded-nylon/

Hope this helps

Jcuk

21 minutes ago, jcuk said:

Not sure if this is what you are looking for Matt

http://www.rjbinnie.co.uk/products/sewing-threads/bonded-nylon/

Hope this helps

Jcuk

Thanks JCUK, I didn't know about that supplier. I'll give them a ring in the morning.

On 3/31/2019 at 2:37 PM, zuludog said:

Core spun threads are typically a core of synthetic material like polyester wrapped in a sheath of natural fibres, like cotton. The idea is that this gives the strength of synthetic whilst retaining the desirable features of natural, such as appearance, 'feel' or handling, or other properties. When nylon tents were first introduced they leaked at the seams as the synthetic thread did not swell like cotton thread, and the water ran through the stitching holes. Wrapping it in cotton largely solved the problem, but this is less common now that seam sealing tape is used

Most manufacturers & suppliers will have a technical sales department, and are usually pleasant and helpful. Why not Search t'Net for them, such a SOMAC; explain what you want and ask their advice. You never know, they might just send you a free sample

Thanks Geoff, that makes a lot of sense. Don't think that's something that would suit my purposes so you've saved me some money. I'll try contacting a few manufacturers but I'm pretty small-fry and most haven't been too happy spending time to talk with me in the past.

Long shot i know Abbey use have it in past maybe give them a ring they might have some old stock left

Hope this helps 

Jcuk