RecklessRed

Juki LU 563 or new Sailrite Fabricator?

I am making small purses of light chap leather and another product of 5/6 oz oil tanned, ? backed with 10/11oz doublr shoulder.  Have a Singer132K1 for the heavier stuff which handles it with ease but has no reverse. I am looking at a clean Juki LU563 with new servo motor set up and tested for $1100, or buying a new Sailrite Fabricator. Any thoughts please

Edited by RecklessRed
Spelling

I am looking at a clean Juki LU563 with new servo motor set up and tested for $1100

Yes..In a heartbeat..( they can be found cheaper, but "tested" is important if you want to be in production without delay(s) ) ..

Sailrite Fabricator...Absolutely not..

It is like comparing a Mercedes..against a Trabant..

Yes..I've owned a few Mercedes, and driven more..and driven a few Trabants..owned a few Jukis, amongst other brands ( still have one Juki DLU 490-4 , not a LU 563 ) and other machines, mainly industrial Singers..and sewed ( if one can call it that ) , very briefly with a few Sailrights, which belonged to other people ) ..horrible ( very expensive for what they are ) nasty , rattly, clattery, imprecise, badly made things..

Edited by mikesc

5 hours ago, mikesc said:

..horrible ( very expensive for what they are ) nasty , rattly, clattery, imprecise, badly made things..

But Mike, what do you really think of them?:lol:

I think you are on the right track with looking into the Juki however if you only want / need a walking foot I would suggest that you look at a new Juki DU-1118n for about $1200 US with a servo motor set-up. I think the Juki LU-563 is getting a little long in the tooth and is way over priced. If you bought the new Juki DU-1118n you would still be less then the Sailrite Fabricator and have similar capabilities.

kgg

I will advise to consider three things when selecting a machine-

1. Resale value. The Juki will hold it- the Sailrite will not
  2. Buy a machine that is one level higher than you- it will handle everything you are doing with ease and in the event you grow- you are not immediately looking for a new machine. (The Sailrite in itself CAN do what you are asking it to- but it can not grow easily as it is a standalone niche machine)
  3. Service and part availability- Juki has a network like many of the long time production machines of service centers and parts suppliers

Kgg has a great idea with servo control- and if you are serious about production work this is your best avenue from my viewpoint- Full disclosure- I am testing and playing with Juki, Pfaff and Singers at several places near me to evaluate what type/model I am in need of- I am in search as you are of a machine... and this advice has steered me clear of obsolete or outdated machines that were "Great Deals" but I could not get parts for or found out they would require major costs for service/parts.

I hate to disagree with anyone but the Juki DU-1118N is more of a canvas machine,it has feed dogs the help pull the material,the upper feet also have teeth & does not have a needlefeed that the Juki 1541S has which is a way better machine for leather,the feed dog has teeth on them BUT since it is a needlefeed they can be ground off & it won't affect it at all.

I do agree that the Juki 1541S would be a lot better machine and choice if the budget allows.

kgg

Not a chance Bob- your advice is always welcome- you have steered me in more ways than you know with your previous thread messages- welcome to the party!

The Juki 563 @ $1.100.00 is 1/2 price of the new 1508 &  in good condition it's worth it.You might even be able to get them down alittle on the price.

Really appreciate all of the specific information available here. You all are so informative and I feel now that I can ask appropriate questions and make a better decision. Will be able to see the machines in a week and hopefully bring one home. Leaning toward the 1541.  Thank you for sharing your experience, it is invaluable.

I might be biased because I use a Juki 563 as my primary machine.  It is built like a tank for an upholstery weight machine.  I never weighed it, but it feels a good 5-8# heavier than a comparable Consew or Pfaff.  I had been running it with a servo, and it worked great.  I added a box style speed reducer recently, and it really feels powerful and easy to control now.  If you look at the details of how a 563 is put together, it's quite impressive.    

If you look at the details of how a 563 is put together, it's quite impressive.

Precisely..

Sailrite has good products and support but mostly geared to canvas/sail making. Best thing about the Fabricator is the motor but you can buy one separately. (I had a Fabricator, and even on woven nylons I maxed it pretty quick) They are decent machines for the price but not nearly as refined as any Juki. They are very similar to a Consew P1206.

Similar spec Juki would be the 1541 (horiz bobbin).

Reckless, I think you are going to be very pleased with the Juki. Did you get the 1541 or the 1541s and a servo?

kgg