DONAG

Why are tip punches not the width advertised?

Many years ago.  I bought a 1" punch from Tandy and a 1 3/16"" punch arrived.  Thought someone made an error, so ordered a second and got the same width.

Bought a 1" from another company and was told by seller.  If company says 1".  It's 1".  Well it's 1 1/16"

7/8" from same company is of course 15/16"

The measurement given is actually from the tip to the back end and maybe I'm missing something, but who cares about that?

If you advertise 1".  Why is it not 1" wide?

I work in MM widths, so those added inch fractions end up slightly wider than the MM size I do need, but have no choice but to use them

Maybe someone could explain why the front to back measurement?

Thanks

DON

That is a good question.  I have used Osborne punches most of the last 40 plus years I have worked in leather. If you count when I started, it is actually 50 years.  They deal in numbers which are not in measurements.  By that, I mean a #2 round punch is 1/8"  I have always used their numbers, not their measurements.  Each manufacturer uses different scales.  The late Joseph Dixon leather punches which were made in England were superb punches  but again, a different scale than CS Osborne.

glenn

My 7/8" and 1" are Osborne.  I have a 3/4" from Jeremiah Watt which is close to perfect width wise as it's a shade over 20 mm

Vergez Blanchard sells in MM's, but again.  Length or is it width?  Unfortunately.  They charge a lot extra with each size increase, so way out of my price range anyways

Thanks

DON