Sign in to follow this  
plingboot

Embossing press/rivet press

I’ve had a brass stamp made to mark my work, but have quickly discovered that getting a good repeatable impression by hand (maul/hammer) isn’t easy across different leathers.

For some of my leathers I think a press is going to be a much better way to do this, so I’m looking for suggestions for a good quality, but not necessarily top dollar press.

my associated question is whether a rivet press could also do the job? Ie with a threaded insert to hold my stamp.

No..you need what you call an "Arbor Press"..cost you about £25.00 to £30.00..
try Screwfix etc ..
HTH :)
Rivet press will not give enough pressure..1/2 ton Arbor Press , or above ..will..
If you can afford it, get one that allows for maybe 2 ton , 3 ton or 5 ton or even 10 ton..each will be useful for many other things..

Edited by mikesc

@plingboot What sort of leathers are you using? Veg tans (like bridle) can be done cold. Chrome tannages typically require the stamp to be heated to leave a decent impression. Impressions in veg tanned leathers are improved by heating.

I  used to use the same basic hydraulic press that I use for clicking for my maker's mark. If it needed heating I would warm it with a hot air gun. Same principle as an arbor press, as Mike suggests. A rivet press could be adapted to this job too but I wouldn't buy one just for this purpose. I found that the simple approach was slow and inconsistent, so I bought a small heated press from China. Far more repeatable, and faster.