plingboot

Edge finishing Kudu

I'm looking for suggestions for edge finishing (burnishing/slicking) kudu leather.

I've got a project I'm about to start with it and have been experimenting with edge finishes, but can't seem to find anything which works.

So far I've tried both hand and Dremel slicking and water, gum trag and bees wax and to be honest after each test it doesn't look much different than the fresh cut edge.

Edited by plingboot

Is it veg-tanned or chrome-tanned?

What sort of thickness?

Edge burnishing will only work if it's vegetable tanned. That leather is chrome tanned so won't burnish in the same way. I have had some success in burnishing, or at least sealing, the edges of chrome tanned leather using diluted PVA glue and a fast burnishing wheel but it's not guaranteed.

Other than leaving the edge as cut, you have a few other options:

• Skive and fold the edge
  • Bind the edge
  • Paint the edge

:17: If its Chrome tanned Matt is spot on.

I'd look for an opaque edge paint for cut edge work, after ensuring edge is tidy, paint and let dry.

A quick tip to see if it's chrome tanned, is that there may be a blue/grey core showing on the cut edge. Look for other posts on chrome tans, there are heaps on the forum.

H

Thanks for the replies. 

In this instance I will probably just use a clear edge paint. 

In an ideal world I’d prefer to skive and stitch as I think that would look superb, but for the size of the pieces I’m working on I need both  a skiving machine and compound feed sewing machine to ensure the quality I want. But that’s a £2k investment which isn’t in the budget at the moment. 

Just a quick report on this one.

I used clear 'Edge Kote' on the kudu, let it dry for a day, then rubbed along the edges with bees wax before burnishing with a Dremel. The finish is super smooth and looks like it'll last a while. 

As an aside is clear Edge Kote just watered down PVA (smells like it) or is there more to it?

2 hours ago, plingboot said:

Just a quick report on this one.

I used clear 'Edge Kote' on the kudu, let it dry for a day, then rubbed along the edges with bees wax before burnishing with a Dremel. The finish is super smooth and looks like it'll last a while. 

As an aside is clear Edge Kote just watered down PVA (smells like it) or is there more to it?

Glad that you've got a result you're pleased with. Any chance of some pics? That kudu looks interesting on Crack's website.

I always assumed that Edge Kote is some sort of acrylic rather than PVA. Some with Tan Kote. Some people use acrylic floor polish on russet leather but I've never tried it (rarely use russet leather myself).

Kudu is beautiful stuff. I went to Crack's to choose/pick up my hide as it's not like buying many other leathers - where quality is pretty similar across hides and you could just phone an order one.

I gather it's a bit of a by-product of southern African life - aside from the massive number of bite/scratch/thorn marks all over the hide, most of them have a number of holes where the knife has gone through during skinning - so depending on the project it's important to actually look at the hide to make sure it'll be suitable.

07-sml.jpg

02-sml.jpg

03-sml.jpg