GeneH

Mark thin black leather for stitch lines and spacing???

How do you mark pre dyed thin black leather for stitching lines and spacing?  I can’t see the marks to poke slots slots with my awl. I have this very soft thin black used scrap leather that I want to do some practice stitching on and discovered I can’t see the mark or dimples when using my chisel as a pricking iron.

Trying to put tiny silver dots properly spaced using a ruler isn’t very accurate at all for me.

61A2B994-3707-4F0E-AC46-646267DDB931.jpeg

Edited by GeneH

I found that I had to up my lighting game. It takes lots of light and minimal shadows for me to do anything accurately. 

Do you have any stitching chisels or pricking irons?

I have a 2 prong stitching chisel and a diamond awl. Lighting is a pair of LED bulbs in swing arm lamps about 3 feed from the work. I'll add a focused headlamp to really spotlight the area.

Thought I could just make little marks and then while stitching make a need small slot with my awl. Part of my reason to do this was because of a (I think it was yours) thread about getting a good slant, front and back, with think leather - this is something I'm going to have to contend with eventually. 

Edited by GeneH