Harry Marinakis

How to set pearls and jewels into leather?

I want to set half pearls and other costume jewelry into leather.

I assume that there is a setting for half pearls and other similar jewels that have a rivet stud. But I don't even know what they're called.

I've tried searching on Google, but can't find the correct search term.

Can someone help?

Thanks.

Try serching for bezel for Mabi pearl should work.

I can share what I know about jewellery terms and you may be able to search on these that will lead you in the right direction. Pre-made bezel cups generally come either as blank fittings, with a jump ring to make a pendant or a post to make earrings. An earring post bezel cup sounds like the closest to a bezel with a rivet stud. I suspect there are also bezel cup button fittings with a jump ring on the back to sew on an item. As to how to attach any of these to leather I cannot help you but it may be a starting point. They come in pretty much set sizes so your costume stones would have to be standard sizing. I use hand cut stones of no standard shape or size and make my own bezel settings so can’t  advise you on quality either. I know leather jewellers wet mould a bezel cup from leather and set from behind covering the back with a second piece of leather, but I can’t help with mounting the existing bezels out there on leather.  Hope this points you closer to what you need. 

Thank you Hilldale

I searched on bezel but found only blanks, earrings, or pendants. Nothing that would even remotely suitable for leather.

I guess I'll have to solder my own settings.

1 hour ago, Harry Marinakis said:

I guess I'll have to solder my own settings

I think the real problem is pressing the rivet. The setting would get crushed. Would something like a Chicago-screw meet your needs?

@Harry Marinakis yes, sometimes the only option to getting it right is to make it yourself. I was wondering if there were bezel cups out there with tab or staple settings on the backplate to fold over but not that I can see. 

But   @LatigoAmigo might be on the money. There are blank bezel cups available with Chicago screws for concho settings so it might be the best production method to get the exact sizing for each cabochon you want to set and you have a clean setting at the back of the piece. 

Good luck.