chuck123wapati

new modeling tools

I just made these modeling tools, seems 20 bucks a pop from Tandy was a bit much so I went down and bought two stainless steel threaded rods for 6 bucks. Took less than an hour to make both and they work great. I'll be putting wooden handles on soon if I feel they need it. 

modeler1.JPG

modeler2.JPG

modeler3.JPG

Freakin awesome.   I can image the threads getting tiring on the hands after a while, but I recall some plastidip product that would work well.  Or even a leather wrap,  and if you went wood, it would thread right on!  Neat.  Now to to find some spare rod or something around here....

YinTx

Thanks ! I guess I should say how I made them. I chucked them up in my hand drill then turned them against my belt sander, you have to go opposite directions, makes them nice and round that way, the deer foot lifters are 2mm and 4 mm diameter, the spoon I shaped with my Dremel then polished all on my belt sander to 1000 grit. Yes I think some curly maple handles would look kinda nice.

You could make a handle from all sorts of pieces of leather, wood, and perhaps soft metal like thin aluminium spacers; just so long as you have hard end caps, like hardwood or aluminium or brass 

Search YouTube for 'Stacked knife handle'

a stacked leather handle would be easy peasy lol two brass nuts, one for each end, that fit the thread then tighten them down to compress the leather washers. Then just a matter of chucking it up in my drill press and file/sand  it all down to size, brass and leather, would look cool indeed. Now I gotta think on this a bit lol, was planning to turn down some maple but....

Thanks zuludog for the great idea!! took less than an hour to make an awesome tool!

tool1.JPG

Duuuuuude...  Those things rock!  :rockon:

Thanks they work well this is my first test with them. Prolly work better than I can use them, still learnin.

raven1.JPG

Man they work well eh!?

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:41 AM, kiwican said:

Man they work well eh!?

yes they do thanks!

I know this is old. I'm looking to do something similar and was looking for a good base material. 2hat size rod did you use if you remember. These came out awesome 

12 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I know this is old. I'm looking to do something similar and was looking for a good base material. 2hat size rod did you use if you remember. These came out awesome 

That is stainless all thread picked up at the local hardware store with brass nuts. depending on the finished size you want  1/8" 3/16 whatever size you want to use to get the right size finished product you want. Mine are made from 1/8". Chuck them up in a drill press and file /sand em down to whatever size you need.

46 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

That is stainless all thread picked up at the local hardware store with brass nuts. depending on the finished size you want  1/8" 3/16 whatever size you want to use to get the right size finished product you want. Mine are made from 1/8". Chuck them up in a drill press and file /sand em down to whatever size you need.

Thanks. I will have to improvise. I have some files.and a rotary tool. I'm sure I can come up.with something. Was the spoon hard to n shape? I'm going for a pointed spoon and petal lifter

They look great! Glad it was resurrected! I was thinking of doing a stylus like that...modeling tools...another project for me:)

3 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Thanks. I will have to improvise. I have some files.and a rotary tool. I'm sure I can come up.with something. Was the spoon hard to n shape? I'm going for a pointed spoon and petal lifter

You can use a regular hand drill also. I used files and sandpaper while I spun the work in a drill, makes it real easy to keep the work round that way. On the spoon I used files and my Dremel tool wasn't hard at all. For the handles I just made some leather washers with my punch set then tightened down the brass nuts, filed them round, sanded and then coated them with some super sheen

3 hours ago, DaveP said:

They look great! Glad it was resurrected! I was thinking of doing a stylus like that...modeling tools...another project for me:)

thanks ! they are easy to make!

Sounds like a plan. I wanted to make some matters too out of some bolts. So, that's another idea I have. Just thinking of textures for that. I like your handle too, came out great 

Great job, so much talent