I have tried to find someplace where I could ask some questions about a job I am working on for my hay man.  The only reason why I did not come here first was that primarily this is for leather and not vinyl........anyway, I was given the left hand door for a metal tubed cab frame and half the vinyl was on the rest had rotted or cracked.  I managed to make a pattern and got some heavy marine vinyl  and clear vinyl for 2 windows for the door.  I've got all the pieces cut out and now I cannot seem to figure out if I should sew the outer perimeter first and then put in the vinyl (all inside seams were french seams), outside were fold over.  OR, add the clear to the center strip and then stitch the pieces together.  There are 7 pieces of the outside vinyl and two pieces for the windows.  So far all I've managed to finish was stitching a lining under the center for the handle.  I'm using my Brother walking foot to get the pieces together and then am taking it down to a friend that has a post machine to attach it to the frame.  ANY comments or help would be great.  Not sure if I ever want to make any more doors :).  

mar19berkemeier.jpgapr19hermdoor4.jpgjan19berkdoor.jpgapr19berkdoor1.jpgjan19berkdoor5.jpg

Judging from the photos, it looks like the clear was edge bound, then stitched to the red, then the red was wrapped around the steel frame and stitched down.  Not sure if that is the question you were looking to have answered.  Also, there are individuals on youtube doing automotive upholstery, you might be able to search videos and see if you find something similar.

This one is by Sailrite, showing an alternate method:

YinTx

Hi YinTex,

Yes, you are correct, the clear was turned and stitched and then attached to the colored vinyl.  When I made my pattern from the pieces I took apart, I left a very good excess 1/2"-1"  especially on the ends just to make sure that I did have enough material to either fold or make french seams, which was on the original.  Since I have the frame clamped on sawhorses I can use that to place the colored material under, and then mark where the seams should go, and where the clear vinyl should go, and use the old pieces to mark the folds.  I wasn't sure whether to stitch the entire outside first and then insert the clear, or start with the center strip (where the handles go) and then add the rest, but after reading your post and looking at all of it again, I think I will stitch all the perimeter first, then add the clear at the end, making sure it all fits the way the old one did, and then I can take it all down to my friend that has the harness stitcher for the final fit and stitching.  

Thank you so much for looking.

Dinah