Singermania

Sewing shoes soles

HI, some time ago I put on a post about sewing shoe soles on the Cowboy CB4500 with the narrow foot set, many people asked to see it in action and I really dropped the ball and didn't do much about it because of other commitments and just plain laziness.  We just happen to be Australia's Cowboy dealers however this can be done equally as well on a Cobra or Highlead and so on.  There are a couple of narrow feet sets available for these machines, but this set seems to give the best access along with a modified narrow slotted plate.....I had over 50 years of sewing but very little to do with shoes, really only repaired a few pairs of sandals, so to do this job meant standing at the end of the machine and pushing the boot against the modified plate, very much against my usual method of just holding the leather straight and not exerting any pressure!!  With this foot set the inner foot sits in front of the outer foot and the needle, the other foot set (last foto) the inner foot is as per norm and has a hole for the needle.

20190404_151348.jpg

20190404_140754.jpg

20190404_140851.jpg

cowboy cb4500 narrow foot set.jpg

I have seen some videos of the last picture you posted, but the others are new to me. Thanks for working back around to it.

I like your comment about not being able to hold it like you normally would. You are standing like you would on any regular outsole stitcher, like a Landis (insert a letter). It allows you to keep the stitches on the welt without running off. That first little pressure foot looks really handy to help you stay in the channel while sewing. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the post and pictures. How do you keep from scoring or scuffing the shoe upper as you apply pressure into the cylinder bed and turn the shoe? I would think the pressure would create drag and cause damage.

JRodz

HI, no didn't seem to cause any marks, I pushed pretty hard at times especially at the toe and book came out unscathed.