GRod

Burnishing & the magic in saddle soap glycerin bar?

Presently working on  my edge finishing.  I've noted a very common approach of wetting the edge with water and hitting it with a little glycerin bar saddle soap (if it's good enough for Bob Parks & Don Gonzales, it's good enough for me).

My wife enjoys her crafts as well, including making personalized soaps for use as gifts.  Consequently, we already have some plain, clear glycerin soap hanging around the house; the stuff you melt down & add color/fragrance & pour into fancy molds.  Something like this

Is using the crafty soap-making glycerin bar instead of the saddle soap bar from Fiebings acceptable? Is the magic simply that it's glycerin (which is my instinct)?  Or is it really about the saddle-soapyness causing ingredient that makes it good for burnishing edges?

This question is embarrasingly newbie-ish, and I'm finally asking the experts because my mental vacillation the last couple of days has just been exhausting. 

Thanks all, for making this such a safe place to learn your wizardry.

Now I'm not the correct person to answer any questions here, since my experience with burnishing is very limited (except burnishing edge paint with paraffin/bees wax) But have you tried Tokonole? I personally like that more than saddle soap.

The glycerin bar saddle soap produced by Fiebing’s is labeled 100% glycerin. So there is no “saddle soapyness” ingredient. I would assume you can expect similar results from a craft bar of 100% glycerin. 

Now the saddle soap paste that you can load in your canvas cloth does have multiple ingredients, so I would still suggest sticking to the saddle soap paste over an alternative because the proprietary blend of ingredients is tailored specifically for leather. 

44 minutes ago, Danne said:

But have you tried Tokonole? I personally like that more than saddle soap.

I haven't tried Tokonole yet, but I will.  If it really does work as nicely as it appears in pictures then I'm sure I will like it too.  And hey, if it helps me produce products like yours, Danne.  I'm certain it will please me.

At this stage of the game I'm focused on getting better with the basics.  I know I can have a box full of stuff to try at my doorstep by Saturday with just a few clicks of the mouse, but I'm trying to avoid that.  While Amazon (and other internet sellers) are really great things in terms of convenience, but I also prize the brick & mortar retailer.  As I get older I find I'm fond of going to a place where I can pick up the product with my own hands.

26 minutes ago, heydox said:

The glycerin bar saddle soap produced by Fiebing’s is labeled 100% glycerin. So there is no “saddle soapyness” ingredient. I would assume you can expect similar results from a craft bar of 100% glycerin. 

Now the saddle soap paste that you can load in your canvas cloth does have multiple ingredients, so I would still suggest sticking to the saddle soap paste over an alternative because the proprietary blend of ingredients is tailored specifically for leather. 

Thanks, Heydox.  That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  There are a half dozen places in town where I can pick up a can of Feibing's paste soap, but nobody has the bar in stock. 

Sounds like the Feibing's bar is basically... soap. 

3 minutes ago, GRod said:

I haven't tried Tokonole yet, but I will.  If it really does work as nicely as it appears in pictures then I'm sure I will like it too.  And hey, if it helps me produce products like yours, Danne.  I'm certain it will please me.

At this stage of the game I'm focused on getting better with the basics.  I know I can have a box full of stuff to try at my doorstep by Saturday with just a few clicks of the mouse, but I'm trying to avoid that.  While Amazon (and other internet sellers) are really great things in terms of convenience, but I also prize the brick & mortar retailer.  As I get older I find I'm fond of going to a place where I can pick up the product with my own hands.

Thanks, Heydox.  That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.  There are a half dozen places in town where I can pick up a can of Feibing's paste soap, but nobody has the bar in stock. 

Sounds like the Feibing's bar is basically... soap. 

Yes it's a big misconception that you need all those expensive tools and materials to do a good job. I saw a guy from Russia a while ago, he made nice watch straps and guess what he used as an edge beveler? A flat-head screwdriver with a groove. Personally I really like tools and I have to restrain myself from buying all those nice tools :D 

50 minutes ago, Danne said:

Yes it's a big misconception that you need all those expensive tools and materials to do a good job. I saw a guy from Russia a while ago, he made nice watch straps and guess what he used as an edge beveler? A flat-head screwdriver with a groove. Personally I really like tools and I have to restrain myself from buying all those nice tools :D 

Necessity is the mother of invention.  Not surprising that a common tool is modified to produce a unique result.

Regarding the soap question, since some people burnish with nothing but water or spit, anything is worth a try, right?

My saddle soap bar went missing for awhile, and I found a tiny glycerin soap in the bathroom closet.   It worked just fine, even if it smelled a little flowery.

- Bill

10 hours ago, GRod said:

I haven't tried Tokonole yet, but I will

Actually, I use saddle soap paste and water, then after that has dried and I've done any additional sanding I might need to, I use Tokonole or gum trag.  If I'm really in the mood, I'll top it with some beeswax.  But you could just stop at the water and canvas.  I have.

The Fiebing's bar has some perfume in it.  Their squirt bottle of liquid glycerine has another perfume in it as well, different.  I've shaved off some of the bar and added water, it seems soluble, but then the water separates out and the glycerin sits on top in a frothy mess.  But when you shake it up and use it, it works well also!

YinTx