Sign in to follow this  
ElonBlunn

Durkopp Adler 669 or 869?

Hi Folks,

This is my first post on here, though I've been using the forum as a part of my research into machines for a couple of months now.

I'm taking production to the next level and require a machine more suited to the work than my Mitsubishi LY2-3750 flat bed.

I'll be producing a range of products including OBT belts, notebooks, wallets, Deer skin falconers gloves (multiple layers up to  3/8"), satchels and the like, as well as codura bags, rucksacks and the occasional PVC pocket up to 400gsm. I do not have any need for thread heavier than a Tkt 20 / Tex150  and the finest I'd be using would be a Tkt 65 / Tex 45.

I've narrowed it down to a choice between the Durkopp Adler 669 or the slightly heftier 869 model.

In my mind I prefer the 669 due to its narrower diameter arm and I believe it to be better suited to sewing with finer threads than its bigger counterpart, but as I will be doing a lot of double fold binding I have been advised to go for the 869 as it has synchronised binding capabilities... now' my main question is this; Is the synchronised binding function all that much more of an advantage to a regular fixed position folder and if so, how/why?

Are there any other advantages or disadvantages to either machine given what I will be using it for?

I know I'd be better off with a machine for each task, but that's not an option at this stage.

If you need more information than I've provided then please ask and I'll do my best to fill in the gaps.

Any advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated, including any recommendations for suppliers in the UK :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ElonBlunn
more information

It's the other way around, the 669 is the synchronized binder machine. I mean the 869 may have a binder option (?) but the 669 can be ordered specifically set up for it.

I have the 669, just took delivery before I moved shop but the little time I have on it so far has been great.

I don't think you would have issues with anything you listed as long as the motor was up to task. 

These machines pair perfectly with Efka 1500 and 1550 motors, you can even mount the motor directly to the machine (shorter belt) instead of under the table.

Welcom to the forum Elon, there is a growing UK number of members on here

Thanks guys :) I now have it on good authority that both machines are available supplied set up with synchronised binders upon request and that it's significantly cheaper to have it supplied that way and buy seperate foot and feed dog to go with it for regular sewing than it is to have the machine supplied with regular foot and dog and to then add synchronised arm, foot and dog retrospectively as a part number! The narrow arm of the 669 and its ability to utilise finer threads has been the deciding factor for me. However if anyone has an opinion on fixed binders vs. synchronised then I'd very much like to hear them as if a fixed binder would work well enough then I could make do with one of a range of cheaper machines for now and not worry about the synchronisation function.

Hey Elon,  I’m looking into these machines for bag making. We do leather and waxed canvas work and need a machine to bind edges with 1” and 1 1/2” bias tape. With pockets, some of these pieces might be fairly thick (3 or 4 pieces of 3-4oz leather plus edge binding). 

Wondering what your thoughts are on the Adler 669 after having it a while and if you think this would suit our needs? 

Any other advice from Adler users would be appreciated too! 

Ok  I have a 669 Eco.   One thing you have to know about the Eco model.  The largest needle you can use on it from the factory is #150.  I sew mostly with #138 thread and prefer the #160 needle because of deflection.  I sew a multitude of of materials so the #160 needle is paramount to that thread.  I solved the problem by removing the bobbin basket and enlarging the slot in it that the needle goes thru with a combination of carbide bit and diamond bit and carbide Mitchell card.  That metal was hard let me tell you!!  It now will handle up to a #180 needle.  Fixed  my buddie's 669 the same way.  Adler in their infinite wisdom uses the same hook in the 669 Eco as they did in older 367-373.  Why they did not make it to accommodate the #180 needle is beyond me  because the 669 Gold edition with toys lets you run up to a #180 needle.  Go figure!

When you order one, specify the 9mm stitch length vs. the 6mm stitch length.  Better to have in and not need it than need it and not have it!!! 

glenn

Edited by shoepatcher
grammar

12 hours ago, shoepatcher said:

Ok  I have a 669 Eco.   One thing you have to know about the Eco model.  The largest needle you can use on it from the factory is #150.  I sew mostly with #138 thread and prefer the #160 needle because of deflection.  I sew a multitude of of materials so the #160 needle is paramount to that thread.  I solved the problem by removing the bobbin basket and enlarging the slot in it that the needle goes thru with a combination of carbide bit and diamond bit and carbide Mitchell card.  That metal was hard let me tell you!!  It now will handle up to a #180 needle.  Fixed  my buddie's 669 the same way.  Adler in their infinite wisdom uses the same hook in the 669 Eco as they did in older 367-373.  Why they did not make it to accommodate the #180 needle is beyond me  because the 669 Gold edition with toys lets you run up to a #180 needle.  Go figure!

When you order one, specify the 9mm stitch length vs. the 6mm stitch length.  Better to have in and not need it than need it and not have it!!! 

glenn

I forgot to add the 669 classic or gold edition as I call it has a different hook because of trim knife.  Plus, instead of the narrow slot, there is a 1/4" box hole in the needle basket to allow for the bigger needles.

Just be aware of that if you go with the 669 Eco because it has a horizontal hook.  The 869 has a vertical hook and will sew a little heavier material.  Both are great machines and the Cadillac in their respective classes.

glenn