stor

Juki LU 563- disable reverese lever spring

My Juki lu 563 is coming along, change the hook to get it to accept a thicker thread in the bobbin and the new servo is doing a good job with my speed reducer, however, i got another problem.
I would like to free up my right hand when i do reverse stitching and my question is !

Is there a way to disable the spring on the reverse lever so i don't need to press it down while I'm stitching reverse? 

/P

Edited by stor

Ooooo same question on a consew 206rb-1?

I did see a couple years ago a guy had mounted a small foot pedal alongside the main foot peddle too a cable that went up through the table top and attached to the reverse lever. I wished I had a picture. I thought it was quite ingenious at the time.

kgg

Just found something similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7CNMGnIDAE

kgg

You could maybe re-rig them ( both machines ) to have reverse operation done via a foot pedal pulling on a lever system that passes through the table to the frame base near the floor, or follows the same path but uses a chain ? A lot of machines ( many Pfaffs) have variations on reverse being operated that way..as does one of my Singers and also my Juki ( not a LU 563 ) a DLU 490-4..You might have to route the lever or chain through the table in front of the machine ( and attach it to the hand operated reverse lever ) in case routing it behind the machine ( as is more usual ) would mean it fouling the knee lift system..It ought to be "do-able" with a pedal, some hinges or pivots, a bit of sheet metal, or some brackets, or some chain and a few bolts..and some drilling..

HTH :)

Edited... kgg types waaay faster than I do ..:)

Bicycle brake cable , a pedal and some bent metal and a few drill holes..I have something that I built like that under my Singer 33U to vary the bight ( zig-zag stitch width ) while the machine is sewing, for "freehand" embroidery , via foot pedal as opposed to via knee lift..much more precise by foot pedal..and no risk of cramps in the thigh of the leg that would be doing the constant knee pushing..

Edited by mikesc

You don't want to remove or bypass the reverse springs on a 563.  You can hook up a foot pedal reverse via light chain.  The simplest way is to operate it with your right foot.  I have one on my 563, but ended up unhooking the chain because it's a hassle to remove when you need to tip the machine back.  

Plus it's super awkward to use your right foot.  I learned on a machine with a left foot reverse so that feels more natural to me.  However, it requires a rod with bearing blocks to locate the pedal on the left.  It wasn't worth the effort for me.  I actually really like the large reverse lever on the 563.  It's so big you can't miss it.

3 hours ago, dikman said:

This is what I did to my Seiko, not very elegant but it works. 

Reverse lock 1a.jpg

Reverse lock 2a.jpg

Thank you all for your responses ! This one is simple and perfect ! Thanks Dikman !

/P

No worries. The reason I used two springs is because I didn't have one spring in my spring drawer that was long enough (or strong enough).

11 hours ago, dikman said:

No worries. The reason I used two springs is because I didn't have one spring in my spring drawer that was long enough (or strong enough).

Haha, I don't think I have a spring drawer.